What's new

suggestions for ac66/uverse/ps3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salraf

New Around Here
Hi there..

I have a few questions about my setup and I hope someone can provide me with some suggestions.

As the title indicates I have ATT uverse would like to restrict internet access for my kids. I went to places like opendns but realized that dns setting cannot be configured with the 3801 that I have.

In addition, quite often I use my ps3 to view movies, etc from my media server upstairs. Well, my ps3 wireless connection is getting more and more choppy. Probably all the wifi devices. I am also constantly getting DLNA 2104 or other error messages.

After some research, I bought the asus ac66 in an attempt to pick up wifi/streaming speeds and allow some better parental controls.

My confusion is that I recently discovered that buying a powerline could take care of my ps3 issues.

So should I keep the ac66 for wifi and dns and buy the powerline for ps3 or should the ac66 take care of all??

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
I think the correct answer is both :)

I would definitely keep the powerline connection for the PS3 - the wireless adapter in there is only an 802.11G connection, so you'll always struggle with streaming/DLNA services. Any powerline connection will be infinitely more usable (assuming you dont have any power issues that degrade the signal)

My advice would be connect the powerline adapters up (one to the router, one near the PS), connect a PC/laptop instead of the PS3 to the powerline and run some tests against speedtest.net
Assuming you get some good numbers close to your ISP performance, then you should be good to go and use the PS3 over the powerline.

The AC66 will give you infinitely more configuration options and control than the 3801 (especially if you run the Rmerlin version of the firmware).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!