What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R3 v1.3.5 -May 11, 2024- Monitor WAN/Dual-WAN/OpenVPN Health & Reset Multiple OpenVPN Connections (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Most likely! Have not put it through any of its VPN paces yet. Do let us know if you're willing to try! ;)
Installed via AMTM in BE98Pro, i have one client with ovpn, and another with Wireguard, but seems this can only see open vpn clients? When enabling wireguard one, it does not show anything, when enabling ovpn, it shows correctly, i assume is this as design?

Installed via AMTM in BE98Pro, i have one client with ovpn, and another with Wireguard, but seems this can only see open vpn clients? When enabling wireguard one, it does not show anything, when enabling ovpn, it shows correctly, i assume is this as design?
Correct... It only works with OpenVPN at the moment. Glad to know it works on the GT-BE98_Pro! ;)

(Maybe due to the update Firmware:3004.388.8)
but, sorry to say: just dissapointing - completely useless!

It does NOT work with "OpenVPN" Connections. It might however work with some specific VPN providers. But not with the one I did configure in ASUS menu.
As all of a sudden VPNMON 2 did constantly reset my VPN connections, so i did try VPNMON 3
It didnt even make it to the menu... just hangs. Once did show me VPN connection "Healh" as a failure, even VPN was working fine. Seems programmed really buggy. Sorry to say, for me it is useless.

VP2 is still as an option in AMTM install menu, but not just wont do. Same with manuel install. - disfunctional - which is sad, as it was working fine till now.
- Game over for a previous usfull script, really disapointing.
I really hope u can create a "universal" funtional connection monitor as before, maybe even with VPN and Wireguard connections. However, thanks for the past good tool.

Last edited:
(Maybe due to the update Firmware:3004.388.8)
but, sorry to say: just dissapointing - completely useless!

It does NOT work with "OpenVPN" Connections. It might however work with some specific VPN providers. But not with the one I did configure in ASUS menu.
As all of a sudden VPNMON 2 did constantly reset my VPN connections, so i did try VPNMON 3
It didnt even make it to the menu... just hangs. Once did show me VPN connection "Healh" as a failure, even VPN was working fine. Seems programmed really buggy. Sorry to say, for me it is useless.

VP2 is still as an option in AMTM install menu, but not just wont do. Same with manuel install. - disfunctional - which is sad, as it was working fine till now.
- Game over for a previous usfull script, really disapointing.
I really hope u can create a "universal" funtional connection monitor as before, maybe even with VPN and Wireguard connections. However, thanks for the past good tool.
Sorry you feel that way, but it's been working perfectly fine for literally years for me running 2 simultaneous OpenVPN connections... using 2 different VPN providers. Tested with up to 5 for days. VPNMON-R3 does away with reliance on specific VPN provider APIs and frees you up to use your own server lists. Sounds like you've got some things to sort out on your end.

And just in case you weren't aware, VPNMON-R2 was sunset about 6 months ago.

Last edited:
Hello @Viktor Jaep any chance of making a Wireguard version of the script? My isp sadly started blocking Openvpn connections.

Would be nice to drop some .conf files with their keys and keep switching between them when wireguard goes down of course with email notification option.

Hello @Viktor Jaep any chance of making a Wireguard version of the script? My isp sadly started blocking Openvpn connections.

Would be nice to drop some .conf files with their keys and keep switching between them when wireguard goes down of course with email notification option.
That has always been the plan, but I haven't gotten around to it yet to understand how wireguard functions compared to openvpn. I'm sure there will be a bunch of new NVRAM values as well that hopefully are comparable. ;) It's definitely on my "to-do" list.

It's definitely on my "to-do" list.
Another vote for adding WireGuard if it ever took your fancy!
I miss VPNMON since I also did the switch from OpenVPN - in my use case it increased throughput markedly for NordVPN.

@Viktor Jaep - Do you have a recommendation on how to perform the initial VPN configuration given this change in 3004.388.8?

Code:
  - CHANGED: Removed stop/start and "Start with WAN" buttons from
             OpenVPN clients.  There is now just a single
             "Enable" option, which will immediately start the
             client when applying changes, and will also start it
             automatically when WAN comes up.  This is to reduce
             confusion, better integrate into SDN, and match how
             WireGuard clients already worked.
- https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3004-388-8-is-now-available.91069/

I used to leave "Start with WAN" off and let your script handle it. I'm not sure if that is the best option any longer.

@Viktor Jaep - Do you have a recommendation on how to perform the initial VPN configuration given this change in 3004.388.8?

Code:
  - CHANGED: Removed stop/start and "Start with WAN" buttons from
             OpenVPN clients.  There is now just a single
             "Enable" option, which will immediately start the
             client when applying changes, and will also start it
             automatically when WAN comes up.  This is to reduce
             confusion, better integrate into SDN, and match how
             WireGuard clients already worked.
- https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3004-388-8-is-now-available.91069/

I used to leave "Start with WAN" off and let your script handle it. I'm not sure if that is the best option any longer.
Yep! All my VPN slots are set for dont enable, or whatever the new setting is now. Still works the same, and the script starts/stops slots as normal.

Yep! All my VPN slots are set for dont enable, or whatever the new setting is now. Still works the same, and the script starts/stops slots as normal.
Thank you!

Sorry you feel that way, but it's been working perfectly fine for literally years for me running 2 simultaneous OpenVPN connections... using 2 different VPN providers. Tested with up to 5 for days. VPNMON-R3 does away with reliance on specific VPN provider APIs and frees you up to use your own server lists. Sounds like you've got some things to sort out on your end.

And just in case you weren't aware, VPNMON-R2 was sunset about 6 months ago.

Version 2.63 is the last functioning version of the script. Neither 2.64 or 2.65 do function as doesn't R3.

AMTM should offer pull version 2.63 of R2 (now 2.65, dysfunctional) now we just get a useless error message there. R3 can be useful for other purposes too, but not for me. So actually both should be available.

Last working version of R2 Script for any VPN service (not only NordVPN...)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.63.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Version 2.63 is the last functioning version of the script. Neither 2.64 or 2.65 do function as doesn't R3.
Hate to tell you this, but there is no functional difference between 2.63 and 2.64/65. The latter versions just contain some extra lines of code to steer people towards VPNMON-R3 when it starts up, adds some nags, and for new installs, prevents the script from running. But the guts/engine remains the same.

AMTM should offer pull version 2.63 of R2 (now 2.65, dysfunctional) now we just get a useless error message there. R3 can be useful for other purposes too, but not for me. So actually both should be available.

Last working version of R2 Script for any VPN service (not only NordVPN...)
It has already been decided to sunset VPNMON-R2. @thelonelycoder will be removing the option to install R2 from AMTM in the near future. I have tested VPNMON-R3 with 5 different VPN providers without issue. I'm not sure what particular use case you have that makes it impossible to use.

Hate to tell you this, but there is no functional difference between 2.63 and 2.64/65. The latter versions just contain some extra lines of code to steer people towards VPNMON-R3 when it starts up, adds some nags, and for new installs, prevents the script from running. But the guts/engine remains the same.

It has already been decided to sunset VPNMON-R2. @thelonelycoder will be removing the option to install R2 from AMTM in the near future. I have tested VPNMON-R3 with 5 different VPN providers without issue. I'm not sure what particular use case you have that makes it impossible to use.

whatever you changes where. 2.65 doesn't function! Not at all!
And R3 has a different functionality and doesn't work as before / not at all for my regular VPN provider. might work for ur NordVPN.