What's new

Tangible difference between 2x2 and 3x3 AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevinqian

Occasional Visitor
I know some cheaper N routers only have 2x2 diversity ant like the Linksys WRT160n and Netgear WNR2000. Does the 3x3 diversity in more expensive routers make that much of a difference? I understand they are all still dual streams, but does the extra diversity antenna provide tangible benefits in terms of better coverage and better speeds at longer distances?

Of course most wifi clients only have 2x2 antennas so this may be a moot point.

Also Tim, I noticed in your reviews that you use a Dell Mini 10 as the client using the Intel 5300 card. Are you sure that netbook has 3x3 antennas built into the display? That laptop may only have two antennas so it may not be utilizing Intel 5300's 3 antenna plugs. So far i know several Lenovo laptops with Ultraconnect 3x3 antennas, but most have the Ultraconnect 2x2s.

Last edited:
I know some cheaper N routers only have 2x2 diversity ant like the Linksys WRT160n and Netgear WNR2000. Does the 3x3 diversity in more expensive routers make that much of a difference? I understand they are all still dual streams, but does the extra diversity antenna provide tangible benefits in terms of better coverage and better speeds at longer distances?

Of course most wifi clients only have 2x2 antennas so this may be a moot point.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong however I believe that theoretically in order for a 3x3 router to have any difference in speeds achieved on a connected client, the client must have a 3x3 card or adapter installed in it. If both have 3x3 the theoretical maximum throughput would be 300mbps... 2x2 is topped out at 150mbps. Hope this answers your question.

actually 2x2 is enough for 300mbps. 3x3 with 3 streams would theoretically provide 450mbps, but all routers today are 3x3 with 2 streams so they are still limited to 300mbps. Basically each stream is 150mbps.

actually 2x2 is enough for 300mbps. 3x3 with 3 streams would theoretically provide 450mbps, but all routers today are 3x3 with 2 streams so they are still limited to 300mbps. Basically each stream is 150mbps.

LOL, see, I told you someone would correct me if I was wrong. Thanks Kevin, :)

The Dell has only two antennas, you're correct. Since there are no three-stream APs/routers in the wild now, the third antenna would only be used to increase the probability of receiving uncorrelated signals. See
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=15060&postcount=6

Once three-stream APs hit, I'll need to find a different test client!

haha yeah. but do you think a 3x3 test client would benefit your Location E and F throughputs with 3x3 diversity routers today?

haha yeah. but do you think a 3x3 test client would benefit your Location E and F throughputs with 3x3 diversity routers today?

My guess would be that throughput might increase very slightly as distance does not seem to be increased by increasing the amount of antenna but having an extra antenna to help balance the load better would result in less packet drops and a bit more stable connection where the connections seemed to be weaker before... But hey, what do I know, LOL, I've been wrong all day so far :)

Not significantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the additional throughput boost from the third stream decays even faster with decreasing signal than dual-stream.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!