What's new

The old modem>switch>router question.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I am reading this correctly, a wired computer is hogging your down load bandwidth which is stealing all the Netgear 7000 router's CPU cycles which causes the 2.4 GHz wireless to be unresponsive. This sounds like bad code in the router. The router should still allocate CPU cycles for the 2.4 GHz wireless.

That is a bit over my head but yes my wired Windows 10 laptop is causing failure or severe degradation in my 2.4Ghz wireless. The computer is connected to a switch which is then connected to the router. I tried contacting Netgear support but feel that I would rather kill myself than go through that again. Tonight I am going to connect the laptop via wireless and see if the problem occurs.

Do you have your laptop set to down lots of large files? I run Windows 10 and I have not seen this problem. If you just recently installed Windows 10 then there are a lot of patches which need to be downloaded which maybe could cause this. Give Windows 10 a few days and you should have all the updates.

At last the culprit is found!!!!! After disabling every service one at a time I discovered that it's Canon's EOS UPNP detector (32 bit) service. EOSUPNPSV.EXE specifically. Of course once I searched for the service name there were other people who have dealt with this as well.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/EOSUPNSV-exe-floods-the-network-with-UPNP-multicast/td-p/95268

Thank you to all those who assisted with brainstorming and possible solutions. If you come across anyone with similar symptoms ask them if they have a Canon camera. Jeeeeez what a nightmare.