What's new

Time to replace my RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This recommendation hasn't changed for many months now.

The GT-AX6000, the RT-AX88U Pro, and as a last resort (very unbalanced hardware that is hard to recommend today, even with your current ISP speeds, now), the RT-AX86U Pro.

See which models are available in your area, and wait for a good sale if you can.
I'd love to understand the issues with the AX86-U Pro; what leads to the hardware being considered unbalanced.

Thanks

Just someone’s opinion based on the fact the router has single 2.5GbE port. Most folks don’t have or need >Gigabit ISP plan.

Thank you for your quick answers.
The bad thing with Tomato is the problem that it doesn't support LAN ports 5-8.

That was my point why I bought this router, to get 8 LAN ports without using another switch which always disturbs my home network.
a switch is cheap and will last many years . I have read many posts where the ports on tha router are not reliable

Just someone’s opinion based on the fact the router has single 2.5GbE port. Most folks don’t have or need >Gigabit ISP plan.
2.5 gb port is still useful for transfers , computer to NAS or other connected devices

Single 2.5GbE LAN port won't be very useful. For faster LAN transfers switch is cheaper. Paying extra for unused features and planning for the future on a disposable type consumer device is a wrong strategy. This device will be End-of-Life in number of years and has to be replaced again.

Don't expose any services to Internet and you'll be fine

I don't use any DMZ and Port Forwarding, but I rely on DDNS and OpenVPN. I also use AiProtection.

So if I really want to be on the safe side I could use like the Netgear GS308 switch on port 4 for example if I move to Fresh Tomato ?!
Or I put enormous effort and build my own router with OpenSense on a MiniPC and use my "unused" TP-Link Deco as Wifi-AP..

Supports VLANs, Access Point mode and Repeater Mode - all you need to recreate what Asus marketing calls AiMesh.
thank you Mesh is just marketing or newspeak for something that has always been there

Single 2.5GbE LAN port won't be very useful. For faster LAN transfers switch is cheaper. Paying extra for unused features and planning for the future on a disposable type consumer device is a wrong strategy. This device will be End-of-Life in number of years and has to be replaced again.

A single 2.5 gbe port is useful for interfacing the wifi router wireless traffic to a multi-gig switch.

Speaking of EOL, Netgear EOLed my MS-510TX multigig switch within 3 years of introduction. Gotta love Netgear for their short product lifetime cycle.

A single 2.5 gbe port is useful for interfacing the wifi router wireless traffic to a multi-gig switch.

We are talking about RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AX88U Pro, remember? Dual-band models with one only higher speed radio on 5GHz band. In theory you are correct, perhaps for a multi-band or BE-class router. In reality for dual-band AX-class router very few devices can exceed Gigabit on Wi-Fi and special conditions have to be met - clear DFS for 160Mhz wide channels, device with 160MHz wide channel support, quiet Wi-Fi environment, shorter range.

We are talking about RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AX88U Pro, remember? Dual-band models with one only higher speed radio on 5GHz band. In theory you are correct, perhaps for a multi-band or BE-class router. In reality for dual-band AX-class router very few devices can exceed Gigabit on Wi-Fi and special conditions have to be met - clear DFS for 160Mhz wide channels, device with 160MHz wide channel support, quiet Wi-Fi environment, shorter range.

I generally agree that saturating even a 1 gbps ethernet with wifi traffic from an AX88U Pro or AX86U Pro is unlikely, but I'll take whatever extra headroom I can get.