What's new

Tomato on R8000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wats6831

Occasional Visitor
I just got a new R800, upgraded from a R7000. Using Tomato 1.38. Seemed to be OK at first, used the same settings as my R7000, but not as fast as the R7000. After a few days, started getting really slow.

I'm only running one of the 5ghz radios. wired and wireless is overall slower and jumping all over the place for speeds to my bridge.

Anyone had any luck with an older tomato version? My setup is pretty straight forward. One laptop and a bridge both on 5ghz. Suppose I should dedicate one radio to my bridge.....I've been using Tomato for years but multiple 5ghz networks is new to me.

The r8000 and r7000 both have a 1ghz CPU. If you disable one of the 5ghz bands, then what is the benefit of the r8000?
Might as well use the r7000.

I believe that the idea is that you put slow 5GHz. clients on one 5GHz. radio, and your fastest 5GHz. clients on the other 5GHz. radio. This allows your fastest clients not to be slowed down by the slower ones, which is going to help you. I think that the router is supposed to sort the clients out automatically, but from what I've read you're better off doing the 5GHz. radio client assignment yourself.

As has been said, if you're only using one of the 5GHz. radios, why bother?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!