What's new

Transmission excl. IP DNS leaking with VPN active

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goldeneyez

New Around Here
So I've set up my Transmission to use 192.168.1.10 (IP is off DHCP pool too) and that only that would use my VPN. All good, except, it seems all a bit messy atm. Normal connections connect through my usual ISP and Transmission is using VPN, kind of.

Mainly what seems to be the problems are the 'Accept DNS Configuration' and 'Redirect Internet traffic'.
When I set Accept DNS Configuration to Exclusive as I've read is the correct setting when I've searched regarding this topic. It leaks my real DNS. If I set it to Strict, it shows my VPN DNS. But then all my other normal connections get a weird mix of showing my real DNS along with the VPN DNS and it seems to slow my connection slightly than normal.
Sites I've used is https://ipleak.net and https://www.doileak.com.

Those sites seem to be a hit or miss with the results I get regarding the torrent DNS test. For example on ipleak it only gives me the IP result of it and in doileak it gives me the DNS result for it.
Which brings me to another question, is there other options to test Transmission regarding DNS leaking?
Cause I don't know if somehow I can connect through Transmission and then just browse those sites through that, which would give me accurate results.

Just need to know if others have had the same problem and maybe someone would know a solution to it. The VPN I'm using is Windscribe. If I set it up for all my devices to use it, it's no problem at all. No leaking as far as I see. As I did before, I just activated the VPN when I was going to download something through Transmission then turned it off when done.

Also wondering if there's a way to test that connection would really stop if the VPN service goes down. I don't fully trust the 'Block routed clients if tunnel goes down' option unless I can experience it myself.

If I set to Exclusive, all other connections just show the real DNS as intended. But the problem is, that it shows my real DNS through Transmission too, leaking it.
If I instead use Strict, then the VPN DNS seems to work fine in Transmission, but then I get my real DNS mixed with the VPN DNS when I test it on any other device.
I tried NL and UK servers, had the same problem with them too.