What's new

Two computers, different wireless performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

taio

New Around Here
Hello! I am new to this website, but I'm hoping someone can help me ascertain the source of my problem.

I just got an Arris TG862 modem/router for my Comcast service, but my laptop and desktop are getting VASTLY different performance out of it.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron M5110. The wireless card is a Dell Wireless 1701 802.11b/g/n internal card.

The desktop is a homebrew with a Linksys AE2500 USB adapter.

Both computers are running Windows 7. Laptop runs 64-bit, desktop runs 32-bit.

My previous setup was with a Motorola SB5101 SURFboard modem through a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 802.11g router. Both computers had similar performance on this setup. (close to 10 Mbps down iirc)

Currently, the laptop shows about a 15 Mbps down rate on both speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net. The desktop is BARELY hitting 0.2 Mbps. The speedtests are backed up by the general performance of the machines while browsing the net, since I actually have to wait for images to load on my desktop. Any suggestions that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I am afraid you are comparing like orage to an apple. USB adapter is of course weaker compared to Mini PCI card with better antenna.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!