What's new

Two DHCP routers interconected networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crazy4nothing

Occasional Visitor
Salute everyone.

Here i have some complex setup i need to make. I have look for some answers on the net but cant find one that works.

Equipment: ISP DSL modem (not relevant)
Router 1: Netgear WNDR3800
Router 2: Cisco E1200
2 switches (not relevant)

What: Need to setup two routers with its dhcp and interconnect both networks so devices on each network can change information, like a pc accessing shared files on other pc, or pcs accessing printers on each network.

How: Router 1 is connected to ISP on its wan, a switch is plugged to it and like 10 devices. Till there no problem, DHCP works great no problem. Now, Router 2 plain router with 10 devices, DHCP works great no problem there.

Scopes:

Router 1
ip address: ISP given
mask: ISP given
gateway: ISP given
dns: ISP given
DHCP
router IP address : 192.168.1.1
mask: 255.255.255.0
range of IP: 2-52

Router 2
ip address: not asigned yet
mask:not asigned yet
gateway:not asigned yet
dns:not asigned yet
DHCP
router ip address: 192.168.3.1
mask: 255.255.255.0
rangeof IPs: 2-52

Why: Thing here is that the network 2 on router 2 and all its devices need to be connected to that router for mac issues. and cant be mixed/connected with/to other router. Router 1 network 1 have access to internet thing that network 2 cant have. But need to be able to share information.

What has been done. Form Router 1 have plugged router 2 on its wan port, and let the DHCP on router 1 assign one ip. the the router 2 got, 192.168.1.2 (reserved) mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway: 192.168.1.1

This configuration does not allow devices on network 2 see devices on network 1 nor the other way.

Now i have tried to use static router with no success, first on router 1 i could not make a static route to any ip address on the scope of its own dhcp. like make a static route to 192.168.1.2.. that is not possible. i have tried to then assign static ip address to router 2 192.168.2.1 then i can assign static route on router 1. but still no access.

i have tried also to turn on both routers the Dynamic routing setting RIP, but nothing seems to happen. the routers supposed to interchange routing tables but cant get access either.

Tried also to merge the networks on the same scope but for some reason cant handle to work.
router 1 ip range 192.168.1.1-52 router 2 ip assigned but router 1: 192.168.1.2 and range 192.168.1.53-106

What is not a solution, turn off dhcp on router 2, cause router 2 network 2 needs to be able to assign its own ip address for mac issues.

Any thought, ideas, solutions?

Regards

You cannot have 2 DHCP routers on the same network. DHCP is a broadcast media. Please explain MAC issues. With one network all MACs are intermingled.

I think the solution absent of other information would be to create one routed network. You will need the internet handled by 1 router. The first router is setup the normal way. The second router needs to have the NAT and firewall turned off. If you have a Cisco router they call it router mode instead of firewall mode. You can use the second DHCP server on this network because the networks are now divided by a router. You will connect the WAN port to the first router just like a PC. You will need to create a static route from the first router to the IP address of the WAN port second router. It would be best to create a static address for the WAN port on the second router so the IP address does not change. At this point you should be able to ping machines on both sides of the network. To work in a windows environment you will need a name server. You can use a local DNS server, WINS server or LMhost file on every PC. This is so you can find machines by name on both networks.
PS
The network IP address ranges for both networks cannot overlap. Pick like 192.168.1.1 for one router and maybe 192.168.3.1 for the other router which is what you are showing.

Last edited:
You cannot have 2 DHCP routers on the same network. DHCP is a broadcast media. Please explain MAC issues. With one network all MACs are intermingled.

there are some ppl on the internet that seems to argue that it is possible.
The mac issues are that the devices on router 2 can not be registered at router 1. for any reason.

Since DHCP is broad cast traffic instead of directed traffic there is no way to control multiple DHCP servers. If you were to run multiple DHCP servers it would be random as to which server would reply. Probably the least busy or shortest path is where the DHCP server response would come from.

I think the solution absent of other information would be to create one routed network. You will need the internet handled by 1 router. The first router is setup the normal way. The second router needs to have the NAT and firewall turned off. If you have a Cisco router they call it router mode instead of firewall mode. You can use the second DHCP server on this network because the networks are now divided by a router. You will connect the WAN port to the first router just like a PC. You will need to create a static route from the first router to the IP address of the WAN port second router. It would be best to create a static address for the WAN port on the second router so the IP address does not change. At this point you should be able to ping machines on both sides of the network. To work in a windows environment you will need a name server. You can use a local DNS server, WINS server or LMhost file on every PC. This is so you can find machines by name on both networks.
PS
The network IP address ranges for both networks cannot overlap. Pick like 192.168.1.1 for one router and maybe 192.168.3.1 for the other router which is what you are showing.

Just to check.

On router 1 on the static route.

this are my values:
ip address 192.168.3.1 - mask 255.255.255.0 -gateway 192.168.1.1 (router 1)

is this correct even dou the 192.168.3.1 is not on the router 1 scope?

Get a router that can handle multiple VLAN's and do it right!

Dear Internetraver

Cant use just one router.
There are some devices that could not be conected nor the internet and to any other router but the router #2. Due a concern with router getting records of that decives connected to it.

Let me explain to everyone.

Lets say that for some reason the router is compromised and it has been monitored regularly to see if some devices for any reason had been connected to it. so the check the router memory and find out all the once connected devices..

Kind of was going on here. There is a very spacial reason why cant handle with just one router.

please.. help.. ;)

For your static route. This is assuming router1 is 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and router2 is 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0 You should have on router1 a route that has network 192.168.3.0 pointing to the WAN IP address for router2. The WAN IP address is going to be in the scope of the router1 network. I don't know what IP you assigned to the WAN port. In your static route you are pointing a network not an IP address so you must use the .0 at end of the address. I hope this helps.

For your static route. This is assuming router1 is 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and router2 is 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0 You should have on router1 a route that has network 192.168.3.0 pointing to the WAN IP address for router2. The WAN IP address is going to be in the scope of the router1 network. I don't know what IP you assigned to the WAN port. In your static route you are pointing a network not an IP address so you must use the .0 at end of the address. I hope this helps.

Terrific let me test this and get back

tnks

Yes. Let me know how it works. Once you add the routing statement you should be able to ping both directions. Make sure you ping from each network to the other network. I can help you debug any problems.

Yes. Let me know how it works. Once you add the routing statement you should be able to ping both directions. Make sure you ping from each network to the other network. I can help you debug any problems.

Not good luck, let me attach some pics for u to see my config

Attachments

• router 1 network.jpg
    router 1 network.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 494
  • router 1 static routes.jpg
    router 1 static routes.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 341
  • router 2 configuration.png
    router 2 configuration.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 688
  • router 2 Dynamic routing.png
    router 2 Dynamic routing.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 717
I need to see router1 settings. Two things I see are you used a different IP network than what we talked about. It will work but router1 needs to reference the different network. The other thing you are running rip. We originally talked about a static route not a dynamic route. It can work but it needs to be done correctly.

I just figured out the small top picture is router1. I had to blow up the picture to 200% to kind of read. So what does not work? I need a list of ping tests. If you are connected to the 192.168.1.0 network with a machine can you 192.168.1.52? If you are connected to network 192.168.2.0 can you ping 192.168.1.1? This would be a start.

I just noticed you have rip on router2 and ripv2 on router1. You need to change so they both match. RIP is not needed but they should match.

I just figured out the small top picture is router1. I had to blow up the picture to 200% to kind of read. So what does not work? I need a list of ping tests. If you are connected to the 192.168.1.0 network with a machine can you 192.168.1.52? If you are connected to network 192.168.2.0 can you ping 192.168.1.1? This would be a start.

Yes instead of using 192.168.3.1 as the router 2 network i used 192.168.2.1

now let me turn rip off. and get back

til now, when a Pc on network one 192.168.1.1 pinging 192.168.1.52 request timed out.

and when on pc on network two 192.168.2.1 pinging request timed out

I just noticed you have rip on router2 and ripv2 on router1. You need to change so they both match. RIP is not needed but they should match.

Well, router 2, only has option for turn on/off Dynamic Routing RIP.
router 1 has a double option:
Rip Direction: Both/ In only / Out only
Rip Version: RIP_1 / RIP_2B / RIP_2M

You need to figure out why you cannot ping 192.168.1.52 which is the WAN IP address for router2 from the network 192.168.1.0. A machine connected to 192.168.1.0 network should be able to ping an address in its own network. I would assume the firewall is still on or you have a cable or connection problem. Did you try letting router1 assign the IP address with DHCP to router2 WAN interface?