What's new

two wireless routers at one time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmmcdonald

New Around Here
I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL, and I plan to replace it with an ASUS RT-N66U. I plan to phase in the new router, so for a period of time, the two routers will be operating simultaneously. Of course, each WIFI shall have different SSID's.

Will I have any problems operating both simultaneously?

thanks

Keith

you need ONE device that is a router, whose WAN port is used.

You can re-purpose other WiFi routers to be an Access Point (AP). The APs are placed where coverage is poor and connected to the main router's LAN port. The AP's WAN port is unused. The connection from the AP can be either a cat5 cable, PowerLine AV, or MoCA.

You can cascade routers where the 2nd one's WAN port connects to the main one's LAN port. This takes quite a bit of knowledge to setup correctly for a separate subnet, deal with DHCP properly, etc. In the end, it's no better than the AP method which is simpler.

There's a FAQ on router-as-AP in the top section of this web site.

You raise some interesting points. The WAN port of our existing WRT54GL is connected to one of four Ethernet ports on a DSL modem (Actiontec Q1000). During our transition period, could the WAN port of the WRT54GL be connected to one Ethernet port of the DSL modem, and the RT-N66U WAN port be connected to a second port of the DSL modem?

thanks again

Keith

You raise some interesting points. The WAN port of our existing WRT54GL is connected to one of four Ethernet ports on a DSL modem (Actiontec Q1000). During our transition period, could the WAN port of the WRT54GL be connected to one Ethernet port of the DSL modem, and the RT-N66U WAN port be connected to a second port of the DSL modem?

This would work if:

- the Actiontec was operating as a router with DHCP on its LAN ports

- each wireless router was only functioning as an AP. There's a single setting which does all this on the RT-N66U. On the WRT54GL you have to turn off DHCP at the very least, see this guide which covers how to do it on a WRT54G

Note that you shouldn't connect to the wireless router's WAN port if you're using it as an AP, you should connect to a LAN port. See the guide. If you have DD-WRT on the WRT54GL you can assign the WAN port to the LAN port group though.

In addition to having two different SSIDs, make sure they're on different channels as well. Actually you'd have 3 different SSIDs, the 5 GHz band on the RT-N66U can have its own SSID and it helps to keep it separate so you know what you're connecting to.

Once you're ready, it would be best to ask your ISP to turn the Actiontec to bridge mode (i.e. not a router). Then you would connect to the RT-N66U's WAN port and turn the RT-N66U back to router mode. The RT-N66U is a much more powerful router than the rudimentary router in a modem, and you will have full access to it. Your ISP may be locking out certain functions in the Actiontec but even if they didn't, it probably is a lot more basic than the RT-N66U.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL, and I plan to replace it with an ASUS RT-N66U. I plan to phase in the new router, so for a period of time, the two routers will be operating simultaneously. Of course, each WIFI shall have different SSID's.

Will I have any problems operating both simultaneously?

thanks

Keith

Do a hard cutover - move the WiFi over to the RT-N66U perhaps at first, using the old WRT54GL without WiFi - but honestly, I would rip/replace - WRT54G was great in the day, but it's not just slow on the WiFi relative to current devices, it's also slow at routing...

sfx

I would just cut over at one time in 2 stages. Bring the new router in off your network. Setup on the new router all the static addresses and setup DHCP with the same scope. Once you make the cut over and go live setup the wireless with the same security and password. I think this would be simpler than trying to run both routers.

I had this same exact set up for awhile. Use the RT-N66U for N clients and use the WRT54GL for G Clients. RT-N66U IP Address is 192.168.1.1 and the WRT54GL will have to be changed to 192.168.0.1 or you will have an IP address conflict. Go from the RT-N66U LAN port to the WRT54GL WAN port and your done. Works great just like this and keeps your N network fast and your G network for slower devices.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online