What's new

Two Wireless Routers - Multimedia and Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Romchim

New Around Here
My current setup is
WDA-2320 D-Link in PC
WBR-2310 Wireless Router connected to Internet
WBR-2310 is assigned 192.168.0.2 with a DHCP range of 192.168.0.100 to 110.

My Home PC is set to a static address of 192.168.0.100 via the WBR-2310

As you can tell my Main PC is connected to the internet Wireless via the WDA-2320 to the WBR-2310. Do to home configuration, there is no way I can hard wire the WBR-2310 to the Home PC.

I have a DSM-520 Multimedia Center Downstairs connected to the SSID for the WBR-2310.

I have One Terabyte of Music, Photos, and Music on a Raid 1 set of Hard drives on the home PC that I currently stream to the DSM-520 via the Home PC, wirelessly to the WBR-2310 and then wirelessly to the DSM-520

All my home computers/laptops are connected via wireless to the internet and a shared Drive and USB Printer on my home PC.

Problem -- When the DSM-520 is running and someone is connected wireless to the internet, the DSM-520 will freeze. Bandwidth problem. When no one is using the internet, then the DSM-520 Works great.

I have a second WBR-2310 wireless router that I have tried to use with the DSM-520. I have hard wired this router via a LAN port on the Router to the Ethernet Port on the PC. I have configured the second router with a different SSID and reassigned the address to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP to 192.168.1.100 to 102.

The DSM-520 sees the Multimedia server on the Computer via the second router and will connect. A IP address of 192.168.1.100 will be assigned to the DSM-520. But, the DSM-520 will not connect to the folders for music, photos or videos. It has error message on TV saying Unable to connect.

When I connect via router 1 to the PC, I can see the folders every time.

So what settings must I make on the second WBR-2310 router and/or PC to connect to the Media server folders on the PC via router 2. Will a cross over Ethernet cable do the trick and/or are other settings necessary.

I also want to use the online service on the DSM-520 multimedia center via the second router.

My current setup is
WDA-2320 D-Link in PC
WBR-2310 Wireless Router connected to Internet
WBR-2310 is assigned 192.168.0.2 with a DHCP range of 192.168.0.100 to 110.

My Home PC is set to a static address of 192.168.0.100 via the WBR-2310

As you can tell my Main PC is connected to the internet Wireless via the WDA-2320 to the WBR-2310. Do to home configuration, there is no way I can hard wire the WBR-2310 to the Home PC.

I have a DSM-520 Multimedia Center Downstairs connected to the SSID for the WBR-2310.

I have One Terabyte of Music, Photos, and Music on a Raid 1 set of Hard drives on the home PC that I currently stream to the DSM-520 via the Home PC, wirelessly to the WBR-2310 and then wirelessly to the DSM-520

All my home computers/laptops are connected via wireless to the internet and a shared Drive and USB Printer on my home PC.

Problem -- When the DSM-520 is running and someone is connected wireless to the internet, the DSM-520 will freeze. Bandwidth problem. When no one is using the internet, then the DSM-520 Works great.

I have a second WBR-2310 wireless router that I have tried to use with the DSM-520. I have hard wired this router via a LAN port on the Router to the Ethernet Port on the PC. I have configured the second router with a different SSID and reassigned the address to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP to 192.168.1.100 to 102.

The DSM-520 sees the Multimedia server on the Computer via the second router and will connect. A IP address of 192.168.1.100 will be assigned to the DSM-520. But, the DSM-520 will not connect to the folders for music, photos or videos. It has error message on TV saying Unable to connect.

When I connect via router 1 to the PC, I can see the folders every time.

So what settings must I make on the second WBR-2310 router and/or PC to connect to the Media server folders on the PC via router 2. Will a cross over Ethernet cable do the trick and/or are other settings necessary.

I also want to use the online service on the DSM-520 multimedia center via the second router.

What happens when you connect the DSM-520 directly to Ethernet Cable instead of the wireless? You should be able to do either way? Any switches on your network?

It should be able to handle just the DSM-520 I have 7x network media players on the network the prior router was DLINK wired based on your chipset but it wasn't as power full as the DIR-655 I have now. Basically even using wireless access point Gs I still was able to have 6 active an 1 wireless media player running while you surf the net.

What's the specs on your PC hosting your server to run DSM-520?

A simple diagram would be helpful, Romchim. What are you trying to accomplish by using the second router?

Having a wireless media server really isn't a good idea, especially with an 802.11g network and especially if you are either trying to stream straight standard def DVD rips (MPEG2) or High Definition video. There simply isn't enough bandwidth available for a reliable connection. See:
Video Streaming Need To Know: Part 1- Encoding, Bit Rates and Errors
Video Streaming Need To Know: Part 2 - The Real World

You then compound the problem by trying to stream to a wireless client. Basically, your wireless throughput will be reduced by half since both clients are connecting via the same AP.

You need to get your media server connected via Ethernet. If you can't get the current PC that is acting as the media server connected, then get a NAS with media serving capability, connect it via Ethernet to the router switch and move the files there.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!