What's new

ubiquiti and my speakers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dyskinesia

New Around Here
I have the power APN and it is working very well. I am using it as an access point on one end of my house in a media cabinet to support my tv/dvr/dvd player and xbox. and a arnge extender to cover that portion of my house/patio. No problems in function but i have an issue with my subwoofer in that room that I can't find an answer. When the APN is plugged in and functioning I get a constant/fast thumping from my subwoofer. As soon as I unplug the APN it stops. when I plug it back it it doesn't start back up again for about 15-20 secs. Which is about how long it takes the APN to reboot, connect and start sending/receiving.

the woofer can be completely isolated (unplugged from receiver and it still does this.) I changed outlets for the APN and speaker to make sure they were not on the same plug. still occurs. They are separated vertically by about 3.5ft.

I have just dealt with it for a few months because it is very low volume but it can be heard in quiet scenes of movies or when nothing else is on.
any clues?

thanks

Shawn

You might be having an electrical grounding problem - that would be the first thing I would check...

Otherwise, you're likely getting some RF leakage from the access point - if you move the APN away from the other gear, does the problem persist?

I tried plugging the router in at a different location and it did not seem to matter. so unless entire house(or that leg of the electrical run) is having grounding issues that should eliminate grounding?

I have not moved it out of the cabinet as I really do not have another good place to put it but for the sake of discussion I'll move it across the room tomorrow and see what happens. I'll posy back results

Shawn

Previously had a wrt54g in the exact same location and it never caused an issue. some I'm thinking it is likely the RF leakage you mentioned.
anything that can be done? too much transmitting power?

RF interference.

I laid 4 sheets of aluminum foil on top of the subwoofer (between the router and the speaker) and all the noise stopped. now to find some more attractive way to block the RF signal. GOOGLING DIY Faraday cages now....

RF interference.

I laid 4 sheets of aluminum foil on top of the subwoofer (between the router and the speaker) and all the noise stopped. now to find some more attractive way to block the RF signal. GOOGLING DIY Faraday cages now....

Just don't put the APN inside the cage :)

Remember that RF propagation is a log function (20logR for spherical, 10logR for one axis) - moving the APN a couple of feet might be all that is needed.

The RF leakage makes sense, as the APN is fairly high powered compared to the WRT54G it replaced...

The PowerAP-N's wireless signal is easily adjustable, using a slider on the router's Wireless page. Just go to address 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address bar, type your (or the Ubiquiti factory's) user name and password settings and go to the Wireless tab.

If the slider is all the way to the right, the transmit power should be around 1000mw (factoring in the gain of the antenna with the router's transmit power signal). Reducing the transmit power by moving the slider to the left will limit your effective range somewhat, but you may find a lower power setting that works in your house without resorting to your external Faraday cage.

Is your subwoofer a wireless unit operating in the 2.4GHz RF band? Otherwise, I cannot imagine the router's transmit signal affecting your sub-woofer much. BTW, on that same Wireless page, you can experiment with changing the router's transmit frequency. Maybe you can find a different transmit frequency that can operate at full power, but not interfere with your subwoofer.

t i have an issue with my subwoofer in that room that I can't find an answer. When the APN is plugged in and functioning I get a constant/fast thumping from my subwoofer.
thanks

Shawn
Physical separation of the WiFi antenna and your audio system and its cables is needed. Perhaps 8 ft.

The subwoofer is not wireless. I also found it was affecting my Stereo receiver too. There really is no other place in that room to put the APN and it is being used as a bridge so moving it farther defeats the purpose. My double layers of foil over the speakers and now also the wiring backside of my receiver has solved the problem. it is onside an A/V cabinet so it is not seen. I mean take the simple approach and leave it alone.

thanks

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!