What's new

Understanding Asus Movistar Triple VLAN profile settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jfim88

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys,

I have an Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin, that is running totally fine after 10 years of 24/7 operation.

I live in Spain, and my ISP is Movistar.

Asus has a built-in profile to this ISP, Movistar Triple VLAN.

This ISP operates with a Triple Play setup.
VLAN 6 for internet
VLAN 2 for TV
VLAN 3 for VoIP

I want to know what the Asus Triple VLAN profile do behind the scenes, because recently I got a Mikrotik ax2 to try them. I loaded a Mikrotik Movistar setup that is posted in the spanish forum Adslzone, and it works well, but…

The TV suffer from pixelation every now and then. And if the TV Box is connected via wifi, there are long cuts instead of small pixelation.

With the RT-AC68U, all is totally fine, no cuts or pixelation at all, even with TV Box through wifi.

So, there’s any way to know what Asus is doing with the Movistar Triple VLAN profile behind the scenes. Maybe concrete settings for IGMP-Proxy, Snooping, maybe some qos…

Thanks you!

The Asus router separates out the internet, TV and VoIP data based on the VLAN tags embedded in the packets received from your ISP.

The Asus router separates out the internet, TV and VoIP data based on the VLAN tags embedded in the packets received from your ISP.
Yes, I know. Like the Mikrotik when correctly configured.

I meant about more specific settings that maybe the Asus do, so the TV service works flawlessly, when I suffer these cuts and pixelation with the Mikrotik.

Yes, I know. Like the Mikrotik when correctly configured.

I meant about more specific settings that maybe the Asus do, so the TV service works flawlessly, when I suffer these cuts and pixelation with the Mikrotik.
I bought the same router and returned it because it not was as good as expected. I live in Spain too, and use Movistar.

You mean the ax2?
Yes. And I was tempted to buy the ax3, but I think for now I'll stick with the XT8 that I've been using since it was launched. The AX2 was to replace the XT8 and then use it as a WiFi bridge for the NAS. But the experiment did not go well for me. Too cumbersome and once running the performance was no better than the XT8 in any way. So I continue with XT8 as the main router and an AX55 in bridge mode with the PS4, NAS and GoogleTV box connected to it by cable. The truth is that I haven't even looked at the XT8 for months and months, it simply works (and almost 30 devices including printers, IOTs...) depend on it.

Yes. And I was tempted to buy the ax3, but I think for now I'll stick with the XT8 that I've been using since it was launched. The AX2 was to replace the XT8 and then use it as a WiFi bridge for the NAS. But the experiment did not go well for me. Too cumbersome and once running the performance was no better than the XT8 in any way. So I continue with XT8 as the main router and an AX55 in bridge mode with the PS4, NAS and GoogleTV box connected to it by cable. The truth is that I haven't even looked at the XT8 for months and months, it simply works (and almost 30 devices including printers, IOTs...) depend on it.
I’m really happy with it, but struggling because was suffering cuts while watching live TV channels using the Movistar Wifi TV Decoder. I’m investigating what can be causing this. Using the Asus there are no issues.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!