What's new

Unifi 6 Wireless performance issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kashifmax

New Around Here
Hi guys

I hope you are doing good.

We bought Unifi U6 Enterprise access point for about 200 devices connected to the access point. We have 600Mbps internet connection. We have 3 Unifi devices.

I have set separate SSID (2g-1, 2g-2, 2g-3, and 5g-1, 5g-2, 5g-3) for 2ghz and 5ghz. Each Unifi devices connected directly to network switch (Mikrotic) via cat7 cable.

The issue is when 50 devices are connected then internet is good (getting speed of around 150Mbps) but when 150+ devices are connected then internet becomes very slow. And some devices are also unable to connect to 2g and sometimes 5g.

Please suggest on how to improve performance, should I set manual channel width, on each device (2Ghz and 5Ghz). Should I set roaming which doesn't seem to help much. In future, more Unifi devices will be added. Please suggest or another solution if any.

Currently, i have set separate SSID due to the above issue. Unifi-1 has only SSID 5g-1 5GHz and another device 5g-2

Note: Not using meshing. U6 Enterprise device supports 600 connected devices but actually in reality it doesn't.

Thank you

You have to think like a copy writer! So up to 200 devices means, maybe with the wind in the right direction and 199 of the 200 in sleep mode.

The other way in which this seems like unrealistic expectations is that a 600Mbps connection divided among 200 devices equals just 3Mbps per device. The only way in which that's a big enough pipe for modern usage is if most of the devices aren't doing anything at any specific instant. I don't know exactly what you meant by "very slow", but maybe you were running into that as much as any limitation of the APs.

Anyway, SNB isn't really the right place for discussing UniFi devices --- you'll find a great deal more expertise about them over at the UI community forums. Maybe there is a setting or two you missed that would help somewhat.

Thank you for reply.

If I have 3 AP and I have set 5GHz with 80MHz, I should add channels on 3 APs would be like 36 44 and 36. Correct me please if I am wrong.

Why have you set up the APs as with 80MHz bandwidth? At 80 MHz you'd probably be wanting to use channels 32 (+36 + 40 +44 that covers 80 Mhz, channel 100 (+104 +108 +112) and if then for the third use 149, 116, or 52 (in that order of preference). If you can you'd benefit from using 160MHz bandwidth on 32, 100, and 149.
What you are currently doing has all the WiFi control channels within the same 80MHz block, which with a lot of clients is going to cause WiFi congestion!

Given your not terribly fat internet pipe, I'd go for 40MHz bandwidth. The extra performance of 80MHz would be mostly or entirely illusory, and you'll have much more trouble finding 3 nonoverlapping 80MHz channels than 40MHz channels --- especially if you find you need to stay out of the DFS channels. Using 160MHz is right out.

160MHz is kind of a silly thing and is not going to be used in a business environment. And in locations with lots of clients you will limit bandwidth to avoid issues.

Some business APs can support more clients than consumer ones so you need to look at the specs. There are connected clients and active talker client's specs that should be published on the hardware.

Why have you set up the APs as with 80MHz bandwidth? At 80 MHz you'd probably be wanting to use channels 32 (+36 + 40 +44 that covers 80 Mhz, channel 100 (+104 +108 +112) and if then for the third use 149, 116, or 52 (in that order of preference). If you can you'd benefit from using 160MHz bandwidth on 32, 100, and 149.
What you are currently doing has all the WiFi control channels within the same 80MHz block, which with a lot of clients is going to cause WiFi congestion!
Hi,
Thank you for your reply

Why have you set up the APs as with 80MHz bandwidth

Because the internet speed is gone up to 2Gbps, so I think it will provide more speed but of course as you said more interference is possible, but maybe later I will try 40Mhz (on 5Ghz) too.

Yes I have set channels on each 3 APs 36 (AP1), 40 (AP2), and 44 (AP3), and I don't see 32 channel on 5Ghz radio.

Given your not terribly fat internet pipe, I'd go for 40MHz bandwidth. The extra performance of 80MHz would be mostly or entirely illusory, and you'll have much more trouble finding 3 nonoverlapping 80MHz channels than 40MHz channels --- especially if you find you need to stay out of the DFS channels. Using 160MHz is right out.
Thank you for your reply.

I will set 40Mhz and will test it out today with setting up manual channels respectively to each AP from 36 40 44 to 48.

Update: When only one user is connected to AP. it gives around 700Mbps speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!