What's new

Unlocking AsusWRT USB over IP server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

berga_d

New Around Here
Hi, I've found that AsusWRT firmware includes USB/IP support through the “u2ec” daemon in /usr/sbin/.

This is an USB over IP SDK from Eltima that should support every USB device.
http://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-network-technology/

However it seems to have been locked down to specific usb classes like printers in router firmware.

Is there any modder interested in working on this feature?

I think a lot of users will be fascinated for the many uses of a remote usb server, from audio streaming (playing/recording), video camera surveillance, IR blasters, and many others. USB Servers often cost around 40-60$.

UPDATE
Probably the only necessary patch is against "src/router/u2ec/testusb.c".
The printer test in "testusb()" must be removed, and then usb redirection should be enabled with "echo a > /var/u2ec_fifo".

Last edited:
The source code is available in the "Driver & Tools > Others" category for your particular model on the the Asus website.
Not for u2ec. I've pulled the GPL release for several models and they only contain the stripped u2ec binary. No source.