What's new

Unstable WLAN, a separate WLAN router to the rescue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fesse

New Around Here
I'm running TL-WR1043ND with Gargoyle 1.5.9 firmware with wired internet connection and LAN streaming on my desktop, RPi, Ouya, PS4 and Android phone.

My LAN connections are rock solid with weeks of uptime, but WIFI is not. For example, my Raspi drops wifi after a few hours but works weeks with wired LAN, and my Android phone sometimes can't even connect until I reset the router.

I have configured the router as a wifi AP, and the router is connected via the WAN port to a modem.

A friend of mine recommended a WLAN router as a solution to my wifi issues. I'd connect the WLAN router to the TP-Link router, and apparently be able to get faster and more reliable connection.

I also read from here that using the router as AP I shouldn't use the WAN port. I'd lose a LAN port if I do that so that would be sub-optimal as I'm running out of cables, but if that would solve this without needing another box I'd be ok going wifi on my PS4/Ouya.

Third option would be to upgrade the rather old Gargoyle firmware to the latest to see if that helps.

Any other solutions or tips?

Hi Fesse - First off, if you're experiencing the flakiness with Gargoyle, you could try an update to 1.6.2 (after a full hard reset), you could also back to factory firmware, or perhaps change to DD-WRT -- but I suspect you'll experience the same issues and you may just have to abandon using the 1043ND for wireless. That said, you probably don't want a second router introduced into the network with all functions turned on -- that will cause doublet-NAT, firewall and a whole host of other issues. Rather, you want to do one of two things: either replace the WR1043ND altogether with another wireless router, or disable wireless on the 1043ND and wire in an access point (either purpose-built, or an all-in-one wireless router in access point mode) to one of it's LAN ports, then assign the access point an IP address in the same subnet as the router.

If going the replacement route, perhaps an Asus RT-N66U running Merlin or AdvancedTomato (the nicer GUI version of Shibby). If keeping the 1043ND and just adding in an access point sounds more appealing, then perhaps an Asus RT-N12/D1 running one of the above firmwares, with DHCP, NAT and firewall turned off (ie. "access point mode"). It's only 2-stream, but then again so are most endpoints, and you can routinely get them on sale from NewEgg for $30. For something rock solid that just works out of the box, an EnGenius ECB-350 is always a solid shoice. $100, but you get what you pay for.

Ive used the 1043nd as a wifi ap before and installed openwrt. Both stock and openwrt wifi was unstable.

Try to note the revision of your tplink as different ones have different wifi reliabilities.

Now i just use asus as a wifi AP instead because it is a lot more stable stock and even better with RMerlin firmware and a fan. They also have fewer hardware revisions per model. Now it never hangs or gets issues even when overclocked to 1.4Ghz for many days. The only issue is that it is incompatible with some apple devices and networked printers.

Trip, going the rock-solid and simple route appeals to me. Asus RT-N66U sounds good, and is widely available in my neck of the woods.

So that would work well as both a LAN and wifi AP in an apartment setting with multiple devices, as opposed to going the router plus separate AP box?

Ive used the 1043nd as a wifi ap before and installed openwrt. Both stock and openwrt wifi was unstable.

Try to note the revision of your tplink as different ones have different wifi reliabilities.

My router is TL-WR1043N/ND v1.

Hi Fesse - Yep, I would probably go with replacing it altogether. As I said, an N66U running Merlin or Shibby's Tomato (or AdvancedTomato) should be rock solid for at least a couple years. Just make sure you flash properly - ie. take the time to allow for proper flashing and NVRAM resets, and you should be good to go. Best of luck!

Bought N66U, and wifi and LAN have been rock solid for several days, no dropped connections. Using stock firmware, but might consider another one to enable hosts file for ad blocking, as I don't think Asus firmware has that, or VPN.

Thank you!

Last edited: