What's new

Value AC Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crcostel

New Around Here
Right now I have an E3200 going, with Comcast 50mb service. We connect:

PS3 (wired) and
2 Laptops
2 S4 cell phones
Ipad
Kindle Fire
Nook HD (all wirelessly)

We use the connection for Netflix/Amazon/Youtube HD streaming and general internet usage.

We have a large apartment with old/thick walls.

For aesthetics the better half would prefer to avoid external antennas

I was looking at upgrading the router and had these options in mind

Netgear R6300v1
Netgear R6250
Netgear R6200v2
DLink DIR-860L
Asus AC56u

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Thanks everyone

If you're able to position the router in the middle of the apartment, the RT-AC56U with the latest Asus beta v.2239 firmware should provide the best performance from what I've seen of my customer's setup.

You just missed a sale on the router for about $99 - but I'm sure there are good deals to be found if you're patient a few days or a couple of weeks.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showpost.php?p=99500&postcount=365

I cringe when ever a word "aesthetics" is thrown around WiFi.

If external antennas is absolute deal breaker, then i suggest you read the reviews on this site for all the routers you have chosen on your list.

Since you live in apartment, then internal antennas wont be an issue. I used to have Netgear WNDR3700 and it did a decent job in a very tall townhouse.

Personally im leaning towards AC56U.

I cringe when ever a word "aesthetics" is thrown around WiFi.

Part and parcel of living with a boss who cares more how it looks than how it works.

If external antennas is absolute deal breaker, then i suggest you read the reviews on this site for all the routers you have chosen on your list.

Personally im leaning towards AC56U.

To be honest, if I can make it blend in (say under the tv) I could pull of the RT-AC66r. I see newegg has it $125 before $15 promo

Are you having problems with the E3200? Use inSSIDer to help you find the best channel.

If I were you, and I was itching to spend money on a new gadget, I'd probably get something other than a new router (unless you're having problems with it).

You could always put DD-WRT or tomato on the E3200 and pretend you got a new router. ;)

Edit:/ or look in to getting one of the new class of powerline adapters (homeplugs)

Last edited:
Are you having problems with the E3200? Use inSSIDer to help you find the best channel.

If I were you, and I was itching to spend money on a new gadget, I'd probably get something other than a new router (unless you're having problems with it).

You could always put DD-WRT or tomato on the E3200 and pretend you got a new router. ;)

Edit:/ or look in to getting one of the new class of powerline adapters (homeplugs)

I am having problems with my E3200. The 5ghz band is useless past 7 feet, even though no one else around uses 5ghz. The 2.4 ghz is stable, but slow. Since I am paying Comcast for 50mb speed, I'd like to get a little closer to it.

Please do not stick a wifi router under anything. It should be sitting freely in the open.

A good place to place a router even with external antennas, is in the kitchen on top of the wall mounted cabinets. But you have to run wires.

Or on top of a book shelf, on top of a cabinet in the office, on top of anything that is above your eye level.

If you place the router under the TV, then TV becomes a wall of interference and a barrier for wifi signal to travel efficiently.

In other words, Wifi components such as routers or AP's are claustrophobic by nature.