What's new

Vlans on AC88U LAN5-8?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikki

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Is it possible to configure VLANs on RTL8365 switch (LAN5-8)? Should I use rtkswitch utility for it?

No. There's no public documentation on how to program that chip.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The tool you'd likely use is the swconfig tool.. but if I recall, this ain't part of the Asus firmware...

I don't have an RT-AC88 to check...

The tool you'd likely use is the swconfig tool.. but if I recall, this ain't part of the Asus firmware...

swconfig is absent in Merlin's firware. I cannot find it in entware either. Do you know where can I download the binary?

Thank you for the answer. One more question: what is the fwd1 network interface for?

I think it's related to the dhd process. Newer Broadcom architecture used by their wifi SoC that have their own CPU are based on it, and I suspect it's used for the dhd environment to communicate with the rest of the firmware. Beyond that, I don't know - it's not documented.

Ok, thank you again.

Here is is the sources of the switch driver. It is not the latest version, but it let's understand what's inside.

And here is the datasheet with registers description for the very similar switch chip.

The driver provides access to the registers via ioctls. Also it contains high level vlan setup functions (vlan.c) but they are not exposed via ioctl.

RMerlin,

I'd try to create a kernel module that exports few functions from rtl8365mb module via ioctls.

Which git branch should I use? I tried to compile master and got compile errors. Then I tried 380.57 branch, but also got compile errors. What I'm doing wrong here?
Code:
nikki@zbox-ext:/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708$ make  rt-ac88u
arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMQOS -DBCM_DCS -DEXT_ACS -DD11AC_IOTYPES -DPHYMON -DPROXYARP -DTRAFFIC_MGMT -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -DMFP -D__CONFIG_MFP__ -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMARM -fno-strict-aliasing -marm -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132644  -DRTAC88U -O2 -D__CONFIG_DHDAP__ -D__CONFIG_GMAC3__ -DBCM_BSD -DBCM_DCS -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -D__CONFIG_EMF__ -D__CONFIG_WPS__ -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMQOS -DBCM_DCS -DEXT_ACS -DD11AC_IOTYPES -DPHYMON -DPROXYARP -DTRAFFIC_MGMT -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -DMFP -D__CONFIG_MFP__ -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMARM -fno-strict-aliasing -marm -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132644  -DRTAC88U -O2 -D__CONFIG_DHDAP__ -D__CONFIG_GMAC3__ -DBCM_BSD -DBCM_DCS -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -D__CONFIG_EMF__ -D__CONFIG_WPS__ -Os -Wall -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMARM -fno-strict-aliasing -marm -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132644  -fPIC -I. -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/shared -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/include -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6/include -D__EXPORTED_HEADERS__ -DSHP -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/shared/bcmwifi/include -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/common/include -DSMP -DBCM5301X -DAUTOFW_PORT_DEPRECATED -DTRAFFIC_MGMT -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6/drivers/char/rtl8365mb   -c -o et_linux.o et_linux.c
et_linux.c: In function ‘et_capable’:
et_linux.c:154:23: error: ‘IOV_CAP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
et_linux.c:154:23: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
<builtin>: recipe for target 'et_linux.o' failed
make[5]: *** [et_linux.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/shared'

and when I defined IOV_CAP by myself, I got errors in another file:

arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMQOS -DBCM_DCS -DEXT_ACS -DD11AC_IOTYPES -DPHYMON -DPROXYARP -DTRAFFIC_MGMT -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -DMFP -D__CONFIG_MFP__ -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMARM -fno-strict-aliasing -marm -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132644  -DRTAC88U -O2 -D__CONFIG_DHDAP__ -D__CONFIG_GMAC3__ -DBCM_BSD -DBCM_DCS -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -D__CONFIG_EMF__ -D__CONFIG_WPS__ -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMQOS -DBCM_DCS -DEXT_ACS -DD11AC_IOTYPES -DPHYMON -DPROXYARP -DTRAFFIC_MGMT -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -DMFP -D__CONFIG_MFP__ -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMARM -fno-strict-aliasing -marm -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132644  -DRTAC88U -O2 -D__CONFIG_DHDAP__ -D__CONFIG_GMAC3__ -DBCM_BSD -DBCM_DCS -DTRAFFIC_MGMT_RSSI_POLICY -D__CONFIG_EMF__ -D__CONFIG_WPS__ -Os -Wall -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMARM -fno-strict-aliasing -marm -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132644  -fPIC -I. -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/shared -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/include -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6/include -D__EXPORTED_HEADERS__ -DSHP -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/shared/bcmwifi/include -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/common/include -DSMP -DBCM5301X -DAUTOFW_PORT_DEPRECATED -DTRAFFIC_MGMT -I/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6/drivers/char/rtl8365mb   -c -o rtl_8365mb.o sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c: In function ‘rtkswitch_ioctl’:
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c:61:7: error: ‘INIT_SWITCH_UP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c:61:7: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c:62:7: error: ‘GET_EXT_TXRXDELAY’ undeclared (first use in this function)
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c: In function ‘ext_rtk_phyState’:
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c:172:5: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c:183:5: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
sysdeps/broadcom/rtl_8365mb.c:190:5: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
<builtin>: recipe for target 'rtl_8365mb.o' failed
make[5]: *** [rtl_8365mb.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/shared'
Makefile:1815: recipe for target 'shared' failed

RMerlin,

I'd try to create a kernel module that exports few functions from rtl8365mb module via ioctls.

Which git branch should I use? I tried to compile master and got compile errors. Then I tried 380.57 branch, but also got compile errors. What I'm doing wrong here?
Code:
nikki@zbox-ext:/usr/src/merlin/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708$ make  rt-ac88u

The RT-AC88U is an SDK7.14 device. You have to build it from release/src-rt-7.14.x/src/ .

RMerlin,

Code:

@nikki,

Did you ever make any progress on this ?​

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!