What's new

VPN Director - Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

however when I route traffic to WAN via VPN Director, for specific devices, my internet connection is adversly affected
Wireguard is not compatible with NAT acceleration. Some traffic gets flagged then to bypass NAT acceleration, it might be causing your problem there. I recommend using OpenVPN instead if you have a high speed connection.

Wireguard is not compatible with NAT acceleration. Some traffic gets flagged then to bypass NAT acceleration, it might be causing your problem there. I recommend using OpenVPN instead if you have a high speed connection.
that wouldn't be ideal in my case, I'm getting 700+ mbits with wireguard, and not even remotely close to that with OpenVPN

my configuration is already done and is working how I want it, just wanted to let other people know what happened

edit: realized that came off kind of dismissive, that wasn't my intention, sorry

I'm guessing NAT Acceleration being bypassed is why it was a way bigger hit on my phone than my computer

Last edited:
that wouldn't be ideal in my case, I'm getting 700+ mbits with wireguard
You're not. The fastest these Asus routers can achieve with WireGuard is around 400 Mbps, due to the fact that routing has to be done without hardware acceleration - the bottleneck becomes the router's capacity to route traffic rather than the CPU's ability to encrypt traffic. If you see 700 Mbps, then I suspect that traffic is not using the VPN.

You're not. The fastest these Asus routers can achieve with WireGuard is around 400 Mbps, due to the fact that routing has to be done without hardware acceleration - the bottleneck becomes the router's capacity to route traffic rather than the CPU's ability to encrypt traffic. If you see 700 Mbps, then I suspect that traffic is not using the VPN.
mullvad.jpg

31173 is co-location DC for mullvad vpn

asus trafficmon on phone while running it on the other device:
mon.jpg

when I switch off in VPN Director on my router:
novpn.jpg

on my phone with vpn through router, lower over wifi but still well above 400 on downstream
1000099589.jpg

latest firmware on an ax86u, are you telling me something is wrong, like wrong settings and traffic is being sent outside vpn somehow even though my ip is different and my latency is higher while VPN is active in VPN director?

Last edited:
I second that. Having WG installed on the AX86PRO and connection speeds with AIRVPN over WG via VPN director are close to or more then 700Mbps. If Merlin is saying that’s NOT possible, then something is wrong. Hence, by checking the connection I see its connected to the vpn. If 400 Mbps is the max over WG then I hope someone with more knowledge then me can say more.

In my case, when vpn director turned on for wg tunnel, it will affect the speed of the Wi-Fi network, not even along the route, simply loading cpu core 0, when copying a file from one device (wifi 5g client) to another (lan5) ( 50.3 and 50.5 for example)
seems like nat acceletation off globaly, then vpn director for wg is on. And max speed locked on 1Gb/s

I’m getting over 700 Mbps via WG on my RT-AX88U Pro, while on the previous non-Pro AX88U I was getting only 350-400 Mbps. It doesn’t seem like it’s bypassing the VPN because I use a self-hosted VPN, and I can see this traffic flowing on my server when I’m running nload.

Last edited:
just to make it clear, RT-AX86U here, no pro variant and getting 700+

though from my earliest post, if I recall correctly
when I set VPN to cover 192.168.50.0/24 and tried setting specific local IPs to WAN interface in VPN Director and my non-vpn traffic was impacted
I think VPN traffic was around 400-500 tops
maybe it's irrelevant, but worth mentioning I guess

and on my phone (non-vpn traffic) over wifi it was all over the place, which is what prompted me to troubleshoot
speedtest.png

and today with this in VPN director instead:
no-wan-director.png

speedtest2.png

Last edited: