What's new

Wake On LAN not working on Asus Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redman

New Around Here
Networking Diagram/AP configuration Snaps Attached.

PC1 is perfectly working the WOL function on main router GT-AX11000 but PC2 is not working WOL from AP RT-AC68U. When I connected PC2 to main router GT-AX11000 directly through a separate cable its worked perfectly. How the magic packets can send to the AP from main router on the existing setup. Please support.

Note:- WOL request is initiating from main router ASUS GT-AX11000 bcs the access point is working under mesh configuration.

Attachments

• AP.png
    AP.png
    383.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Network diagram.jpg
    Network diagram.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 11
I honestly don't know what the issue is wrt your WOL failure (although I have a suspicion), but let me make a suggestion.

Several years ago I decided to get off this dependence on WOL and instead use wifi-enabled AC adapters. What I do in the case of a desktop PC is enable "Restore from AC power" in the BIOS (it may be named differently w/ different BIOSes) so that when the AC adapter is turned ON, the device is automatically booted. When I'm done, I shutdown the device and power OFF the AC adapter (or just leave it ON and power cycle it later to boot the PC again).

This effectively provides WOL to just about any kind of device imaginable. I happen to manage my OpenVPN server on a separate router that's connected to such a wifi-enabled AC adapter. I keep port forwarding enabled to its LAN IP address, but it remains unreachable unless I power ON the AC adapter, which I can do remotely and on-demand w/ my iPhone, making it much more secure (since the WOL function assumes you've enabled remote access to the GUI of the primary router, which is NOT recommended).

As a bonus feature, let's say the PC (or whatever device it may be) hangs. I can now just simply power cycle the device w/ the AC adapter! That alone has made it worth the investment.

Again, this obviously is NOT directly addressing your WOL issue, but imo, WOL is an outdated, arcane, and insecure way to deal w/ this type of problem. And given how cheap and common these wifi-enabled AC adapters have become (I picked up about a dozen a few years ago for $5 a piece on sale), it's just the better solution in most cases. All this nonsense w/ BIOS settings, making sure it's enabled in NIC's driver in the OS, dealing w/ expiration of the NIC's MAC in ARP, WOL not working w/ wireless, etc., is such a PITA. I just don't deal with it anymore. Once you have remote control of AC power, all that nonsense w/ WOL becomes a thing of the past.

JMTC

Last edited:
Its a good solution but i think the PC wont start if its properly shutdowned previously , even if the "Restore from AC power" setting is enabled in the bios. This option will help to boot the PC automatically when power outage happened as far as i know. Pls correct me if iam wrong.

Its a good solution but i think the PC wont start if its properly shutdowned previously , even if the "Restore from AC power" setting is enabled in the bios. This option will help to boot the PC automatically when power outage happened as far as i know. Pls correct me if iam wrong.

If the PC powers up but won't complete the bootup process for some reason (e.g., an essential but corrupted driver), it doesn't matter what you use to boot the PC, whether WOL or a wifi-enabled AC adapter, it ain't gonna boot. The only problem we're trying to solve is how to wake-up the PC in the first place. After that, it's up to the PC to complete the bootup process to the OS successfully. It's just that relying on a wifi-enabled AC adapter is probably going to be more reliable than WOL for that initial wake-up due to how the former is NOT dependent on anything more than the "Restore from AC power" option being enabled in the BIOS.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online