What's new

Wan Failover Script is reported constant switching

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routersecskisthedude

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

WAN Failover is a very important feature for me, and was one of the reasons I purchased my Asus router. The built-in feature did not work that well, so I installed the WanFailover script. However, it has been reporting many failover events and switching to the falback but then switching back within a minute. Last night there were 60 reported fail over attempts that I received by email. The internet stopped working until I rebooted the router (not the modems which were both fine). How, can I diagnose this issue? I turned on logging for my router to debug level and then used capture (11) in the WanFailover script, but I am not sure what to do next. When I enter capture (11), all it does is clear the terminal screen.

WAN Failover is a very important feature for me, and was one of the reasons I purchased my Asus router.

Unfortunately, the script is your only hope. Built-in feature is mostly for marketing purposes. If you really need reliable Multi-WAN with Fail Over and Fail Back the only permanent and guaranteed solution is replacing the Asus router with something that does Multi-WAN properly. Entry-level business series TP-Link ER605 for about $60 will do it as well as older Ubiquiti ER-X and similar MikroTik hEX. From home AIO routers - Synology, but expensive.

Hello,

WAN Failover is a very important feature for me, and was one of the reasons I purchased my Asus router. The built-in feature did not work that well, so I installed the WanFailover script. However, it has been reporting many failover events and switching to the falback but then switching back within a minute. Last night there were 60 reported fail over attempts that I received by email. The internet stopped working until I rebooted the router (not the modems which were both fine). How, can I diagnose this issue? I turned on logging for my router to debug level and then used capture (11) in the WanFailover script, but I am not sure what to do next. When I enter capture (11), all it does is clear the terminal screen.
Retrieve the capture file and send it to me via GitHub issue.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!