What's new

WDS Bridge network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maikai

New Around Here
Hi,

I am trying to build a network with a router set as WDS bridge to an internet router. If you refer to the attachment, I want to set the TL-WR941ND router as a bridge. And 2 computer OR 1 computer and 1 media player connected to the TL-WR941ND with ethernet.

My question:
1) Would the PC/media player have internet access?
2) Does the PC1 and PC2 communicate directly via the TL-WR941ND OR the data /file must be rerouted back to the internet router and back to the TL-WR941ND?

The PC1 would be the media pc with all my files stored.

Thanks alot.

Attachments

• BRIDGE.jpg
    BRIDGE.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 408
2) Does the PC1 and PC2 communicate directly via the TL-WR941ND OR the data /file must be rerouted back to the internet router and back to the TL-WR941ND?

I'm pretty sure that as long as PC1 and PC2 are both connected to the LAN ports on the TL-WR941ND, they do not have to send data back to the main router. The LAN ports are on a switch chip, it will know what clients are connected to it and will route packets accordingly.

WDS is normally a wireless repeater - WiFi in, WiFi out.

For what you've shown, I would use a WiFi Client Bridge: WiFi on one side, wired on the other. Also sold as Game Adapters.

Here's one - that may be an overkill- there are others from $30:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...029&Tpk=wifi bridge buffalo&IsVirtualParent=1

Here's another,k,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168112
stevech,
Never came across these...thanks. Seems exactly like what I am planning to do but since i already have the TL-WR941ND, will try it out first...if it doesn't go well...will get the game adapter.

The game adapter only acts as a wired bridge to the devices connected, how about wireless?

I'm pretty sure that as long as PC1 and PC2 are both connected to the LAN ports on the TL-WR941ND, they do not have to send data back to the main router. The LAN ports are on a switch chip, it will know what clients are connected to it and will route packets accordingly.
I was thinking the same thing too...will test it out the access speed.

The game adapter only acts as a wired bridge to the devices connected, how about wireless?

It doesn't affect wireless, it just receives wireless packets and sends them down the wire and vice-versa.

It doesn't "repeat" or extend the wireless signal if that's what you're asking. That would be a bad thing to do anyway - it halves throughput.

I have managed to get the 2 routers "connected" with the WDS, any wired device connected to either of them has internet connection but one problem.

They both are transmitting different SSID, my main 1043ND router is Home and the 941ND is HomeTheater...I thought WDS combines both routers using only a single SSID? I can access the net if connected to either network. Any advice is appreciated.

Now I cant access the 941ND configuration page...Do i need to do a hard reset?
Thanks

Last edited:
Now I cant access the 941ND configuration page...Do i need to do a hard reset?

How did you set its IP address? Are you sure it's at the IP address you think it is?

If you use a static IP, use one just outside your DHCP range. You shouldn't use DHCP to assign an address to the 941ND, it will be assigned at random and it may change in the future...nevertheless, many routers will show the IP addresses of connected devices, see if you can find what it is in the main router.

Also the computer accessing has to obviously be on the same subnet - in most home (W)LAN setups this is true but some have wireless on a different subnet than wired.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!