What's new

WGR614v7 as wireless bridge - is this possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

louisw

Occasional Visitor
I have an old WGR614v7 sitting around. I would like to use this as a wireless bridge for a slingbox in the bedroom. I spent a while researching this and I think it isn't possible. I wanted to avoid running an ethernet cable across the apartment. (The main router is a DIR 655).

If it isn't possible, what would a good cheap router / bridge to use for this purpose?

I have an old WGR614v7 sitting around. I would like to use this as a wireless bridge for a slingbox in the bedroom. I spent a while researching this and I think it isn't possible. I wanted to avoid running an ethernet cable across the apartment. (The main router is a DIR 655).

If it isn't possible, what would a good cheap router / bridge to use for this purpose?

WiFi bridges, purpose-built products, are also called game adapters. Lots of these on the market. I have used the old Linksys WRT-11, the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP, and others. A Linksys WRT54GL can run DD-WRT's bridging, but that's a PITA versus buying a plug and play bridge/gaming adapter, esp. an older one.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!