What's new

What does the RT stand for in RT-AC66U etc...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT stands for what?

• Radio Transmitter

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Router

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Rolling Thunder. Doesn't mean anything.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pulp

Regular Contributor
[POLL]What does the RT stand for in RT-AC66U etc...

Is it Radio Transmitter?

Last edited:
HI,
My wild guess is router.

Is it Radio Transmitter?

I doubt it, they also have a tablet called the RT Vivio tab or something. And they also created the "eee PC" and have an upcoming product called "Padfone Infinity." I think you're in for a let down if you think it has any significance. Asian consumer electronics companies aren't known for their well planned product naming strategies and stellar English translations. ;)

HI,
My wild guess is router.

Am I smarter than a 5th grader? Most definitely not. . .this proves it!

I'm looking now, and all their products are so self explanatory. . .like the GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5. Duh! :)

Last edited:
I doubt it, they also have a tablet called the RT Vivio tab or something.

Vivotab RT. Blame Microsoft for that one - it's because it runs Windows RT.

DING!DING!DING!!! I think we have a winner! :cool:
Dang, can't EDIT my poll.... :eek:

My money is still on router (with "rolling thunder" a close second place). However, I'd still like to re-emphasize my point that divining meaning out of product name schema, especially from an Asian manufacturer, is a task that will bear little fruit.

If RT=radio transmitter, it should actually be "radio transceiver" because it does more than just transmit. But why would they add "radio" to transceiver? What else is it going to transmit and receive?

If I'm allowed to cross examine the defendant:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless_Adapters_Products/

I would like to completely contradict myself and say there is a conspicuous pattern where:
EA = Extender
RT = Router
RP = Repeater
WL = wireless only (i.e. a WAN port + wifi but no switch ports for LAN clients)
USB = wired adapters

The prosecution rests! ;)

Just wait a year or two and they'll totally lay waste to the old method. . .like how the digits in BMWs and Mercedes used to directly stand for the engine displacement, and then it wasn't, and then it kind of was close. . .barely.