What's new

What feature do you miss in Linksys WRT1900AC ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Whats with this gui causing problems ? I generally look at mine once a nite while I run the status for uptime, never had a problem. One thing I noticed or did not notice, when I booted mine up the first time, hardwired into port 1 the 1900 popped a config window on my win8pro machine without me doing anything, that window was open before I walked around the desk from my network rack 5 feet away. The only other hardware I have seen that behaviour on is the 891 series cisco routers and while they won't pop a window it can be very difficult to config one of them from the gui if you are hardwired into any other port than the first lan port, port 0. I have not even tried to open the 1900's gui from a wireless connection.

If you poke around in the GUI long enough, especially if you change some settings (like editing devices in Network Map), the whole router will reboot.

If you poke around in the GUI long enough, especially if you change some settings (like editing devices in Network Map), the whole router will reboot.

That I understand and would expect it to. Heck even dd-wrt does that if you make certain changes.

That I understand and would expect it to. Heck even dd-wrt does that if you make certain changes.

No, it doesn't reboot to commit settings. It reboots completely. As in, it crashes in the middle of a page, after you've hit "save" and already committed the settings. You'd have to see it to fully understand - you know when it is committing changes (which this router generally does through an wired/wireless interface reset rather than a full reboot) versus when it is flat out crashing.

For example, it crashes when navigating and editing clients in Network Map. Those changes are actually cosmetic. There's no reset/reboot cycle needed to commit those changes at all since nothing in the actual router settings is changing.

FYI, I updated to the latest firmware over the weekend and haven't had a reboot since.

I've been in the Network Map, changed devices, tweaked some settings -- it's rock solid now.

FYI, I updated to the latest firmware over the weekend and haven't had a reboot since.

I've been in the Network Map, changed devices, tweaked some settings -- it's rock solid now.

Thanks for sharing . What is the latest fw number ?

To me the router is great but it misses the secure VPN home access . Just wondering why didn't they add it .

What do you guys miss in this router ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I don't own it, but a big miss is the bittorent client, an openvpn host and client.

I don't own it, but a big miss is the bittorent client, an openvpn host and client.

I'm not sure the bittorrent client is that big of a miss. Very few of the stock firmware's have bittorrent clients built in. I know Netgear doesn't. Plus, most consumer NAS boxes have a bittorrent client now.

OpenVPN definitely seems to be a big miss, though.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the bittorrent client is that big of a miss. Very few of the stock firmware's have bittorrent clients built in. I know Netgear doesn't. Plus, most consumer NAS boxes have a bit torrent client now.

OpenVPN definitely seems to be a big miss, though.

While the vpn on the router is somewhat useful I would hazard a guess that 90%+ the purchasers would never use it. I only used it once when our company moved, and that time for about 2 weeks when I did a PTP from our dd-wrt linksys to our asa firewall in the old building to the new building that only had a cable modem. That said if I was one of those who actually needed it I'd be looking for a router or appliance that had it. Personally I have never had a need to VPN into my home system. IMO Would it be a handy feature, yes, would it be a deal killer, no.

While the vpn on the router is somewhat useful I would hazard a guess that 90%+ the purchasers would never use it. I only used it once when our company moved, and that time for about 2 weeks when I did a PTP from our dd-wrt linksys to our asa firewall in the old building to the new building that only had a cable modem. That said if I was one of those who actually needed it I'd be looking for a router or appliance that had it. Personally I have never had a need to VPN into my home system. IMO Would it be a handy feature, yes, would it be a deal killer, no.

Yeah, I've been using home routers since the mid 1990's and I've never had a need to VPN into my home from elsewhere. I also have been working out of my home office for the last 10 years or so.

I can understand where some would need/want that functionality but I've never had a use for it.

While the vpn on the router is somewhat useful I would hazard a guess that 90%+ the purchasers would never use it.

90% of purchasers would not spend 250$ on a router either, and would go for the discounted 50$ model at Best Buy instead. Different user base. :)

That's where you need to justify the price difference between the 250$ router and the 50$ router.

90% of purchasers would not spend 250$ on a router either, and would go for the discounted 50$ model at Best Buy instead. Different user base. :)

That's where you need to justify the price difference between the 250$ router and the 50$ router.

The performance more than justifies it in my mind. Now if you want to talk about differentiators between the $250 router and the $210 router, sure. But the WRT1900AC (or any of the AC1900 routers really) blows away the cheaper stuff...

The performance more than justifies it in my mind. Now if you want to talk about differentiators between the $250 router and the $210 router, sure. But the WRT1900AC (or any of the AC1900 routers really) blows away the cheaper stuff...

I have a customer who uses one single 49$ RT-N12 to provide wifi on three different floors of their office, so range isn't the justification. I could even have used three of these 50$ router to provide full coverage that would beat any high-end router (by having one per floor) and still end up with a lower bill.

Wifi performance? Well you can get an AC1750 product from TP-Link for 100$ now.

So since you can get cheaper routers that are as fast and have similar coverage, then something else is required to distinguish these > 200$ products. That's where you need to throw in additional features (in addition to better build quality, of course) to justify the price difference for the average customer.

Wifi performance? Well you can get an AC1750 product from TP-Link for 100$ now.

There are reports (on this forum even) that 2.4Ghz is virtually unusable on the TPLink Archer C7. The wireless performance really isn't comparable.

That being said, if someone were inclined to have more than one device, they could buy three $50 routers, as you noted.

As a basic router/AP, the WRT1900ac is fairly complete, and recent FW updates have fixed a number of stability concerns.

It's not the most tweakable router of the current crop of AC1900 devices - but if you take away the NAS SMB/FTP and media servers, it's pretty solid, and a good performer.

I have to agree. It should have the vpn service. I've never had it before, and now that I do, I am able to watch tv using an app from anywhere when I used to only be able to do it when I was home. I also have learned a lot more networking because of it. Now, I can't live with out it.

As a basic router/AP, the WRT1900ac is fairly complete, and recent FW updates have fixed a number of stability concerns.

It's not the most tweakable router of the current crop of AC1900 devices - but if you take away the NAS SMB/FTP and media servers, it's pretty solid, and a good performer.

Why take out those nice features. All those three are turned on my WRT1900AC and it never gave me a crash or reboot with DLNA streaming and Samba file sharing being used all the time. I like that the DLNA server from stock firmware uses the twonkymedia server.

bumping up an old thread I know but,,,,,,,,

Best Buy had an unadvertised special last week so for $199 I figured what the hey,,,,,,

I do wish it had a bittorrent client, and I wish I could plug in my MiFi USB dongle and have access (when needed) to my 4g lte network,,,,,,

I think a lot of it comes down to what other devices you own.

I have a full-fledged NAS that has a torrent client (even though I don't use it), multiple media servers (I like Twonky myself, but with my NAS I have more than one option), VPN client, etc.

I don't need any of those in the router so the absence of those features doesn't bother me.

I can certainly understand why some would miss those features though, especially considering the price point.