What's new

What is the fastest wireless bridge?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kitsvancouver

New Around Here
I finally got around to cleaning up my home network and have a DLink DIR-890L AC3200 router on the top floor and a Netgear R8000 AC3200 router (in AP mode) in the basement. I'm looking to bridge the Netgear in the basement to a PC gaming room. Previously, I had a DLink DAP-1522 but it doesn't have 802.11ac so I'm looking to upgrade that.

I've noticed a lot of testers use the Netgear R7500 as their wireless bridge for testing, but it looks like SNB uses the Netgear R7000. So, assuming there are no budget constraints, which product will work best as a bridge to the R8000?

Thanks!

The 7000 would be the better choice, especially for stability. Some people have success, some don't. Since you have a 3200 in the basement, can't you run a CAT6 cable off one of the LAN ports, for your gaming room option?

The 7000 would be the better choice, especially for stability. Some people have success, some don't. Since you have a 3200 in the basement, can't you run a CAT6 cable off one of the LAN ports, for your gaming room option?

WFA (Wife Acceptance Factor) is the main reason I can't run the cable because it would traverse a hallway which would be deemed unsightly. The lack of cable run is one of the biggest regrets I have from when we built the house.

I've read online that the Netgear R8000 will support bridging mode by Q3 of this year. Will that be any faster than the R7000 in bridge mode?

Is the R7500 firmware unstable in bridge mode? Or just less stable than the R7000? Since the device doesn't have to do any routing, etc, I wonder if the processor speed in the bridge matters that much and even an R7000 is overkill.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online