What's new

Which Asus Router for Time Machine compatibility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gstahl

New Around Here
Hey Folks!

I am about to buy a new Asus router for my home network due to the need of a highspeed (100 mbit internet connection) WLAN.

As we are using a couple of Macs I came across the Time Machine compatibility of some Asus models.

So basically I was about to push the "buy" button for the well reviewed Asus RT-N66U ... but as far as I know it is not able to use an attached Usb hard drive for TM. Am I right?

So ... basically I have to buy the expensive Asus RT-AC68U to use TM? Or am I missing something?

You can also consider the RT-AC56U which has the same capability, but those two are the only current routers that support TM afaik at this time. Not too long ago it was on sale for $99 and even the RT-AC68U has been on sale for $119.

Hey Folks!

I am about to buy a new Asus router for my home network due to the need of a highspeed (100 mbit internet connection) WLAN.

As we are using a couple of Macs I came across the Time Machine compatibility of some Asus models.

So basically I was about to push the "buy" button for the well reviewed Asus RT-N66U ... but as far as I know it is not able to use an attached Usb hard drive for TM. Am I right?

So ... basically I have to buy the expensive Asus RT-AC68U to use TM? Or am I missing something?

Time Machine support is only available on the RT-AC56 and RT-AC68.

Never took RT-AC56U in consideration.
After reading some reviews it seems like the RT-AC56U is (beside the slightly lower range) the better router?
New CPU, USB3, much more speed on like every aspect...

What would you say: RT-AC56U vs RT-N66U?
I dont have any ac compatible devices (2x Macbook, 2x iPhone) so I dont really need the ac.
As I wanted to buy another NAS station, the RT-AC56U seems to be able to serve movies via WLAN for my Tv?

Last edited:
For your needs, the AC56U would be the one to get, unless you need triple stream wifi support.

All those routers support streaming over DLNA. DLNA support can sometime be hit-or-miss however depending on your TV.