What's new

Whole home wifi with one SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlphaGator

Occasional Visitor
We just moved into a new home that has two floors and a basement. We have Comcast Xfinity modem on the top floor, connected to an ASUS AC3200.

I want separate SSIDs for each channel so I can control which network to connect to at each client.

We need to be able to stream HD signal to TVs on all three levels.

I bought a repeater, but they use the 2.4Ghz channel to connect to the router and 5.0 to connect to clients, leaving me constrained to the 2.4 speed for anything that uses the repeater.

Ideally:
- all high bandwidth devices (eg TVs in basement and 1st floor) can connect to a router that is 5.0 and has high bandwidth

Are there professional grade signal repeaters that can provide whole home coverage?

Do I need to run CAT cables to lower floors in order to connect to routers on those floors?

Are powerline devices dependable enough to use for the other floors?

Thanks in advance!

Best way to do this is to have your Router TOP floor, AP on the 1st floor, AP in the basement (to stream HD signal to TVs on all three levels) , best is to run CAT6 cables to lower floors for best streaming speed. (I would pulled cable in the ventilation ducts if there is any between the floors)

But this is wath i would do if it was me.

As APs i would choose either ASUS RT-AC66U, ASUS RT-AC68U, Netgear Nighthawk R7000, this is AC1900 WiFi Routers, but you can run them as APs in "AP mode".

Last edited:
scratch all that was said and get some ubiquiti unifi ac aps and a toughswitch that has thier falvor of PoE on it and run the controller.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!