What's new

Why PPPoE is bad?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think you know about the world and what I'm talking about. You are talking about Protocol itself. I'm talking about PPPoE Service from ISPs.

So blame the ISP's - enough said...

If service sucks, find another path...

I don't use PPPoE service. I'm using Fiber.o_O
I'm on fiber too, and guess what? It's PPPoE over XGS-PON. PPPoE does not equate to DSL or copper. It's simply a protocol stack for transferring data and has NOTHING to do with the medium the data is carried.

Mostly because they have little legacy cruft
Sometimes, upgrading is harder than deploying IMHO. They want to rentabilise their initial rollout before investing in an upgrade. And upgrading a network in stages involves having both platforms working in parallel throughout the migration. Take our local cable provider for example. They deployed DOCSIS 3.1 hardware years ago. Yet in 2023, they still haven't enabled 3.1 in both directions, main issue being their network still offers legacy "'a la carte" video services that are occupying a significant portion of the frequency space. So, their fastest service is still limited to 940/50, as the upstream is still DOCSIS 3.0.

Bell was in a similar situation. They initially started deploying GPON, and mid-way they switched to deploying GPON-XGS, which means you have still lots of areas without FTTH, some have 1 Gbps FTTH, and the newly deployed areas (like mine) have up to 8 Gbps FTTH (most are still limited at 3, I believe they are trialing 8 Gbps in specific markets).

Sometimes, upgrading is harder than deploying IMHO. They want to rentabilise their initial rollout before investing in an upgrade. And upgrading a network in stages involves having both platforms working in parallel throughout the migration. Take our local cable provider for example. They deployed DOCSIS 3.1 hardware years ago. Yet in 2023, they still haven't enabled 3.1 in both directions, main issue being their network still offers legacy "'a la carte" video services that are occupying a significant portion of the frequency space. So, their fastest service is still limited to 940/50, as the upstream is still DOCSIS 3.0.

Bell was in a similar situation. They initially started deploying GPON, and mid-way they switched to deploying GPON-XGS, which means you have still lots of areas without FTTH, some have 1 Gbps FTTH, and the newly deployed areas (like mine) have up to 8 Gbps FTTH (most are still limited at 3, I believe they are trialing 8 Gbps in specific markets).
They just enabled XGS-PON in parts of my city a couple days ago and I have 3.0gbps symmetrical available now.

Sometimes, upgrading is harder than deploying IMHO.

No doubt - greenfield is always easier than brownfield - and sometimes that difference can be quite significant...

Much like Bell and Telus up in Canada for the 4G-LTE migration - as CDMA carriers, the LTE migration was a completely new core network and connections out to the cell towers...

And they had to keep that old IS41/CDMA core up for a period of time as they added new LTE subs until eventually there was a sufficient number of legacy subs that they could effectively turn off CDMA.

Much like Verizon and Sprint here in the US - Sprint has a especially hard time as they had legacy 2G-CDMA, 3G-EVDO, 3.5G-Wimax, and 2G-IDEN subs to migrate...

Rogers had a bit easier path as they were already GSM/UMTS, so LTE was an evolutionary move...

Even there - until VoLTE was universal - many carriers deployed CS-Fallback so Voice would be on the Legacy networks...

We're seeing the same thing now here in the US with the 5G deployments - NSA is typical, but they anchor on 4G-LTE and do supplimental channels on 5G for data only. 5G-SA is slowly coming online, but this also requires VoNR, which is different than VoLTE.

Evolution is painful sometimes - mostly because of the mix in the subscriber fleet - it would be nice to upgrade everyone, but that's not cost-effective to do all at once...