What's new

WiFi 7 APs: help me decide between EAP783 and the U7 Pro Max

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have also been contemplating the eero PoE Gateway (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HJNCG81?tag=snbforums-20), though it's awfully expensive, and Dong doesn't like its wired performance, which, indeed, looks laughable:

Amazon-eero-PoE-Gateway-Wired-Performance-790x1024.png

The reason I'm pushing back so hard is that it's not clear to me that the BE98 is even a sensible baseline purchase for what you need. For one thing, it's got dual 6GHz radios of which one is said to be for backhaul
I do not need dual 6GHz radios, no backhaul needed, no mesh scenario. I do need at least two 10GbE LAN ports though, and the BE98 Pro is the only one that offers that, unfortunately.

I'm amused to notice that Dong's top-rated switch is one I have (XGS1250-12). It's relegated to a secondary, lightly-loaded spot in my network, because what Dong doesn't mention is that its fan spins up annoyingly loudly as soon as you put more than a couple Gbps through it. I tell this story just to emphasize that chasing spec-sheet numbers is not necessarily going to end with a satisfactory answer.

I do not need dual 6GHz radios, no backhaul needed, no mesh scenario. I do need at least two 10GbE LAN ports though, and the BE98 Pro is the only one that offers that, unfortunately.
As @Tech9 suggested, you'd be better off getting a separate switch to handle those clients; it's unlikely that the ASUS actually has adequate switching fabric to drive all those ports at full speed.

Even in dedicated switches, more than 2 10GbE ports is rather rare, and rarer yet for them not to be SFP+ ports that are meant to be carrying fiber links to other aggregating switches. Yes, you can find SFP+ modules with RJ45 ethernet outputs, but here's a dirty little secret: those things are full-on switches in themselves, because they have to modulate between the rather inflexible SFP+ interface spec and ethernet. They are expensive, and they draw a lot of power (possibly more than your switch is budgeting for an SFP+ port), as a consequence of which they run hot. Especially the multispeed ones.

I just looked a tad more closely at the BE98-Pro's tech specs, and now I'm even more confused, because what those say is

1 x 10Gbps for WAN/LAN
1 x 2.5Gbps for WAN/LAN
1 x 10Gbps for LAN
3 x 2.5Gbps for LAN
1 x RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps for LAN
1 x USB 3.2 Gen1
1 x USB 2.0

There's still only two 10G ports, so how is this superior to the other models mentioned on that front?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!