What's new

Wifi 7 pointless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

supershaun

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have just installed a intel be200 WIFI 7 card into my intel laptop. I have connected to my Asus gt-be98 6GHZ & MLO network and the max speeds i have seen 1ft from router & 20ft roughly are rubbish 1.4gb down & 2gb upload. I have installed the latest driver for the card and also set my router to 320MHZ. I just feel really disappointed with the speeds. I am on 2.3gb symmetrical connection.

Is there any specific settings I would have to change in router or adapter

So what tests have you done so far? Have you identified any bottlenecks, and what is the connection speed that the card is reporting if you dive into its settings and diagnostics?

Hi, I have just installed a intel be200 WIFI 7 card into my intel laptop. I have connected to my Asus gt-be98 6GHZ & MLO network and the max speeds i have seen 1ft from router & 20ft roughly are rubbish 1.4gb down & 2gb upload. I have installed the latest driver for the card and also set my router to 320MHZ. I just feel really disappointed with the speeds. I am on 2.3gb symmetrical connection.

Theoretical top upload/download speed for a wifi 7 device is 5.75 Gbps vs 1.2 Gbps for wifi 6E. Various factors will keep you below the maximum though. On my newer wifi 6e wireless devices I see upload/download of about 700 - 800 Mbps and on my (wifi 7) Samsung Tab S Ultra tablet I see 1800 - 2100 Mbps. So percentage wise, wifi 6E is doing a little closer to its potential than wifi 7 so far. I've been assuming that's due to Asus's wifi settings not being fully optimized in the default configuration since every time there's new firmware it says it's an optimization of wifi 7.

Last edited:

Are you using Windows? The only Windows version that supports MLO is the unreleased Windows 11 24H2 update. Should be out in a month.

So what tests have you done so far? Have you identified any bottlenecks, and what is the connection speed that the card is reporting if you dive into its settings and diagnostics?
I have done file transfers, iperf3 with speeds roughly 110Mbs so roughly 1.1-1-2gb.

The cards connection speeds goes from 5.8gbps-2.8gbps

Yes I’m using the dev tester program through Microsoft so have downloaded the 24H2 early to use.
This seems like a bug, I'm also having a similar issue I mentioned in your other thread:
I'm having this same issue specifically with MLO. RT-BE88U, BE200 card in laptop, win 11 24h2, latest intel wifi drivers. DL capped around 600mbps, UL around 1600mbps. When I disable MLO I get 1900 up/down.
If your connection is faster when you disable MLO, then we are experiencing the same issue.

If it's an MLO bug, I'm thinking yours is stuck uploading on 6GHz/320MHz and downloading on 5GHz/160MHz, and since I have an RT-BE88U mine is stuck uploading 5GHz/160MHz and downloading 2.4GHz/40MHz. I'm unsure if this is a Windows bug or Intel driver bug or Asus router bug. I don't have any other Wi-Fi 7 devices to test. If you have a Wi-Fi 7 phone to test could you post the results of a speed test on it?

So if using windows what does the WiFi Status page show your connection speed as.
WiFiStatus.png

vs 1.2 Gbps for wifi 6E.
2400. My laptop is able to reach around 1800-2000 Mbps when transfering to my NAS with Wifi 6e.

In the specs it could reach up to 4800, but no client supports four streams, only two. Hence the 2400 Mbps max link rate.

2400. My laptop is able to reach around 1800-2000 Mbps when transfering to my NAS with Wifi 6e.

In the specs it could reach up to 4800, but no client supports four streams, only two. Hence the 2400 Mbps max link rate.

yep, 2400.

wifi6e_alienware.jpg

See on my laptop it shows between 2.8gb-5.8gb obviously I know I’m not getting anywhere near this.

Those are nice numbers to see, maybe the router needs to mature the firmware or the wifi card needs to improve the drivers or it is too soon for WiFi7 to became mature itself :)

I was talking about WiFi6E, I do not have a WiFi7 router to test it, unfortunately.

I have a 1Gbps/500Mbps link, I can get 1350Mbps/500Mbps max on WiFi6E, on 2,5Gbps port it gaves me a little more, about 1420Mbps down.

Those are nice numbers to see, maybe the router needs to mature the firmware or the wifi card needs to improve the drivers or it is too soon for WiFi7 to became mature itself :)

I was talking about WiFi6E, I do not have a WiFi7 router to test it, unfortunately.

I have a 1Gbps/500Mbps link, I can get 1350Mbps/500Mbps max on WiFi6E, on 2,5Gbps port it gaves me a little more, about 1420Mbps down.
I’m more so thinking it’s either a Asus firmware issue as I’m testing with Gnuton(Merlin) or it’s possibly windows early release

I’m more so thinking it’s either a Asus firmware issue as I’m testing with Gnuton(Merlin) or it’s possibly windows early release

Yep, you could blame Windows also.

Do you have a WiFi7 phone to test it?

You’re right of course if you include link aggregation.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!