What's new

Wifi dropping on 5G band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I respectfully disagree. Why is it then that my Samsung has no issues while using Merlins firmware based on the older drivers, yet has issues with the newer releases with new drivers? And why is it that in this very same Asus forum other people with HTC phones are reporting the very same issue? D-Link managed to get their firmware right with their last update as well... Seems like enough evidence pointing to it being an Asus issue.

Actually, there is a good chance that this is a problem with Broadcom, since this is the common point (AFAIK) between all affected routers (since the issue affected Asus, DLink and also Linksys at least). Since the issue seems to be specific to AES encryption, there's a chance that it's something in Broadcom's crypto library, not in the wireless driver itself (otherwise, I would expect to see TKIP affected as well).

There's still a chance the issue can be with Samsung too. Sometimes, a manufacturer will push the specifications beyond what's official. Implementing a new feature can end up breaking clients that do not properly follow that specification. Take a look at the XBox360 issue, for example. Asus's fix was to disable a wireless feature (LDPC), which was possibly not properly implemented by Microsoft, which is why it only affected the XBox 360.

Without knowing the technical details of the fix DLink implemented, it's hard to say beyond speculations.

Regarding AES encryption, I don't see where it's affecting anything, at least in my case, in fact that's the only way I can achieve the faster speeds and greater throughput and range. Whether I put it on AES or TKIP or none at all, I'm still dropping out on the 5G band on all 3. It oddly doesn't affect the 2.4 band at all. And since running your firmware since 2 days ago, I haven't had a single drop out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

No connection problems that I am aware of with firmware 4.271

Speedtest.net internet speed test from RT-N66U wireless router to SG S4 using 5Ghz N mode, 20/40mhz bandwidth setting, 80mw and AES encryption on stock Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.271 . Within the same room as the router my recent speedtest app results are 12ms, 94.6 Mbps down, 5.6 Mbps up (rated up to 100/5). The connection seems consistent and solid. I have not noticed any 5Ghz connection drops at close range, within the house in other rooms or up to and beyond 50 ft outside through the house walls.

Last edited:
The 5 GHz band is split in two: low numbered channels (around 36) and high-numbered (around 150). I've seen some devices work better with high-numbered, and others with low-numbered.

Try with a fixed channel at both end of the channel numbers, see if you get better results with either of them.

Having better throughput on the 5 GHz band makes sense if you have a lot of interference on the 2.4 GHz band (interference from other devices will manifest itself in having a high number of packets being retransmitted, which leads to the drop in performance).

This is exactly what I experienced. When setting up 5Ghz on my RT-N66U to my Trendnet wireless bridge model TEW-640MB I seemed to have connectivity problems using the low numbered channels and it was was particularly noticeable in the 40mhz N mode. I am experiencing excellent results using the higher numbered 5Ghz channels (149 and higher).

Last edited:
Speedtest.net internet speed test from RT-N66U wireless router to SG S4 using 5Ghz N mode, 20/40mhz bandwidth setting, 80mw and AES encryption on stock Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.271 . Within the same room as the router my recent speedtest app results are 12ms, 94.6 Mbps down, 5.6 Mbps up (rated up to 100/5). The connection seems consistent and solid. I have not noticed any 5Ghz connection drops at close range, within the house in other rooms or up to and beyond 50 ft outside through the house walls.

I believe that is firmware with the older drivers, correct me if I am wrong... That being said, as stated earlier, those drivers seem to work good. It's latest batch of firmware with the newer drivers that suffer the drops .

Last edited:
I believe that is firmware with the older drivers, correct me if I am wrong... That being said, as stated earlier, those drivers seem to work good. It's latest batch of firmware with the newer drivers that suffer the drops .

I believe .271 is using the older drivers.

Note: I just installed .276 on two of my RT-N66Us and the 5Ghz connections also seem to be working well. As you indicated before the .27x releases and releases like Merlin's that are based on the older drivers should be good to go.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!