What's new

Will Asuswrt-Merlin improve OpenVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxsteel

Regular Contributor
My router is RT-AC68P and currently running the stock firmware which has the ability of OpenVPN. If I installed Asuswrt-Merlin, can I expect an improvement in OpenVPN performance and speed?

My router is RT-AC68P and currently running the stock firmware which has the ability of OpenVPN. If I installed Asuswrt-Merlin, can I expect an improvement in OpenVPN performance and speed?

Yes, my OpenVPN (and OpenSSL) implementations are optimized for performance, while Asus's is optimized for size.

Yes, my OpenVPN (and OpenSSL) implementations are optimized for performance, while Asus's is optimized for size.

I changed the question, my concern now is setting up OpenVPN similar to the stock setup method?

Last edited:
I changed the question, my concern now is setting up OpenVPN similar to the stock setup method?

It should be very similar, since Asus originally took my code, and only did a few changes on top of it. One thing you will have to do however is re-enter your keys and certificates, as Asus and I don't encode it the same way.