What's new

Will this wireless configuration work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

H

hyperhyper

Hello,

I've got a wireless router(s) question and after a lot of reading, I'm still a bit confused... Maybe someone here can clarify it for me...

I currently have a Linksys WRT300N as the only router in the house and all my computers wireless connect to it.

I have purchased a Linksys WRT610N and would like to connect several of my computers to it via the ethernet ports and then connect a NAS to it as well. From this router, I would like for it to connect to my existing WRT300N so that it can get out to the internet. (I have lots of data constantly being backed up and prefer to use the wired gigabit approach).

So is the WRT610N be acting as a bridge or an access point? Also, with the hardware I have, am I able to accomplish what I am looking to do or do I need to buy a specific piece of hardware or install some hacked firmware? If so, I believe I have to turn off the DHCP server on the WRT610N - is there anything else that I have to do?

Thank you in advance,
/HH

Thanks for the reply Thiggins!

Using a switch alone will not work because I need that switch to wirelessly connect with the main router which is in a location that would not be feasible for a cable run.

So would plugging in my NAS, and my 3 computers into a switch and then plugging that into a Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge work?

Thanks,
/HH

So would plugging in my NAS, and my 3 computers into a switch and then plugging that into a Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge work?
Yes, it will. But it will be so slow as to be unusable since it will be running 802.11b.
You would be better off getting a WET610N, or at least a WET54G.

Yes, it will. But it will be so slow as to be unusable since it will be running 802.11b.
You would be better off getting a WET610N, or at least a WET54G.

Yes you are right, a 802.11b or n would be better to use - my bad, I posted the wrong product. Thanks again for all your help Tim.
/HH

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!