What's new

Wired AIMesh causing devices to lose connection, 100% cpu usage when PC disconnects in 388.7+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whosucks

New Around Here
The title is weird but I've been trying to nail down this problem for a few weeks and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

BACKGROUND:
I have an AX86pro as the main router and an AC68U as an aimesh node. When my main PC connected to the router loses connection to the router(sleep mode, disable network adapter, or unplugged ethernet), CPU core 1 goes to 100%. Using ssh and running top, i see the [bcmsw_rx] process pegged at 25% CPU, which i guess is 100% of 1/4 cores. This causes everything plugged into the router to disconnect(aimesh node, and a laptop running as a home server) for almost exactly 3 minutes. Wifi was not affected. While diagnosing the problem, I tried things like rebooting the router daily, replacing ethernet cords, and disabling things on the laptop because I thought it was a windows issue at first.

Today I tried just unplugging the aimesh node and the problem stopped. After some testing with firmware flashing, I figured out that on 388.7+, switching to wireless backhaul stopped the problem ,where 388.6 was fine either way.
For now, I'm just staying on 388.6 since I don't want to cut the speed of the aimesh node. Has anyone heard of this problem or knows how to fix it for newer firmwares?

Newer Asus routers detect Ethernet port connections of less than a gig as a bad connection that can be improved. I have seen this behavior when my Dell Windows desktop sleeps and the LAN port drops to 10 MB. I have not noticed the AX86U Pro using more processing, though. My "fix" was to put a switch between the PC and router. I needed to increase the Ethernet ports anyway.

hmmm I'll try adding a switch somewhere to see if it works, but this also happens when the PC's ethernet cord is unplugged from the router