What's new

Wired to Wireless, sort of...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bucknhacks

Occasional Visitor
Hey all,
New to the site, but have been trying to soak up what I can, at the expense of what few brain cells I have left, I'm sure. Hoping for some guidance on a new router purchase.
I'm looking to upgrade from my wired TLink 100mbps router to a wireless. I'm with TimeWarner/Spectrum 100mbps down, (10 up) plan, but am going to upgrade to their 200, or 300mbps plan, when I get a new router. The house is wired with Cat6. The source Cable is dropped in the family room, which is in one end of the house. My son has a basic Linksys wireless router in his room, (which is in the center of the house) that supplies wireless (which the kids use for Netflix, XBox, phones, etc...) from my TLink router.
Anyway, I'm more interested in running wired to my computer, through the new router, leaving the wireless coverage, to be decided. Possibly from the new router, depending on coverage, or maybe still from my son's room.
I've been looking at (at the suggestion of my grumpy tech-guy friend) Asus RT-AC1900(P), RT-AC68U, and possibly the RT-AC3100. But I am open to suggestions.

Lastly, do I need to worry about UDP throughput? RT-AC1900 showed low review scores in that area.

Thank you for any help provided.

Asus RT-AC1900(P), RT-AC68U, and possibly the RT-AC3100.

any of these should be fine , the latter would be the one i would go with eg rt-ac3100 as its got a faster cpu etc and faster wifi speeds for later on , plus better wifi coverage

any of these should be fine , the latter would be the one i would go with eg rt-ac3100 as its got a faster cpu etc and faster wifi speeds for later on , plus better wifi coverage

Thank you for the reply,
The Best Buy RT-AC1900P has a 1.4 cpu, like the 3100, but yea they're wifi speeds are obviously classes apart. If I remember correctly the 1900P may have been a bit faster WAN-LAN, than the 3100, which was a plus to me.

Hoping to see some sales this weekend.

If I remember correctly the 1900P may have been a bit faster WAN-LAN, than the 3100, which was a plus to me.

for the most part the margin of difference are hardly noticeable unless you have super mega fast 1000M internet wan to lan wise

here we dont have the 3100 available , but i use the 88u and it works great as my main router , however for now wifi im an orbi convert as i cant find anything close to it wifi coverage and throughput wise throughout my whole house

i believe asus will bring out a system called hivespot that will compete with the orbi but not till later this year

Okay, so I've been using the SNB router charts to compare the some numbers for the Asus RT-AC1900P, and the ASUS AC3100 RT-AC88U.

WAN to LAN Throughput - TCP Mbps

RT-AC1900P - 941
RT-AC88U - 934

Peak 2.4 GHz Downlink Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 298.7
RT-AC88U - 451.6

2.4 GHz UpDown Throughput Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 105.9
RT-AC88U - 96.5

Peak 5 GHz Downlink Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 848.9
RT-AC88U - 905.4

5 GHz UpDown Throughput Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 547.4
RT-AC88U - 527.7

Other than the "Peak 2.4 GHz Downlink" speed, the numbers are pretty comparable. So, I'm guessing that the $80-90 price difference is due to the wifi range of the RT-AC88U being much larger than the RT-AC1900P?
As I said, I'm new to wireless routers, so any clarification/input is greatly appreciated.

B

Okay, so I've been using the SNB router charts to compare the some numbers for the Asus RT-AC1900P, and the ASUS AC3100 RT-AC88U.

WAN to LAN Throughput - TCP Mbps

RT-AC1900P - 941
RT-AC88U - 934

Peak 2.4 GHz Downlink Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 298.7
RT-AC88U - 451.6

2.4 GHz UpDown Throughput Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 105.9
RT-AC88U - 96.5

Peak 5 GHz Downlink Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 848.9
RT-AC88U - 905.4

5 GHz UpDown Throughput Mbps
RT-AC1900P - 547.4
RT-AC88U - 527.7

Other than the "Peak 2.4 GHz Downlink" speed, the numbers are pretty comparable. So, I'm guessing that the $80-90 price difference is due to the wifi range of the RT-AC88U being much larger than the RT-AC1900P?
As I said, I'm new to wireless routers, so any clarification/input is greatly appreciated.

B

So, I'm guessing that the $80-90 price difference is due to the wifi range of the RT-AC88U being much larger than the RT-AC1900P?