What's new

Wired vs Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scooter4483

Occasional Visitor
So I just had Comcast installed at my house. I have the 25mpbs plan. When I connected my laptop directly to the ubee modem(provided by Comcast), i obtain speeds of 28.6mpbs. This is great. I am in the process of getting my own modem(Motorola 6141) and leaning toward getting the netgear nighthawk router. I plugged in my old netgear 54mpbs G router. When i stand about 25 ft away from the router with no wall interference, i get around 19.6 mpbs max dl on the speed test. Is it possible to get my wireless speed with at least an N rated router, close to the wired speed? Reason I will be getting the nighthawk is because of features and there are two devices in the house with 802.11 ac wireless NIC's.

Thank you

TL;DR Yes

If your laptop has an 802.11n wireless card in it, yes. If not then you'll need to upgrade the wireless card as well (if possible).

Even the most basic 802.11n access point running in 1:1 (SISO/single stream) mode at 20MHz channel width is 65Mbps signalling rate compared to 802.11g's 54Mbps. So you'd likely see around a 15-20% improvement in most locations over 802.11g.

Setting to 40Mhz channel width more than doubles throughput and if the access point and laptop both support MIMO, with 2 or 3 streams (2:2 or 3:3) you are looking at another increase of around 50-75%.

So you could be looking at boosting the through put to around 100-200Mbps at the same location depending the flavor and setup of an 802.11n wifi network.

Yes,

Pretty much all the devices in the house have n rated wireless chips. I do not expect to have exactly 28.8mbps wirelessly, but close to 25 would be pretty sweet in comparison to 19.6 at the moment.

Thanks!

With 802.11ac client and router, you'll be able to get 100 Mbps internet speed throughout the 5 GHz range (even at 1 bar, 802.11ac can still push 100 Mbps internet!)

So I just had Comcast installed at my house. I have the 25mpbs plan. When I connected my laptop directly to the ubee modem(provided by Comcast), i obtain speeds of 28.6mpbs. This is great. I am in the process of getting my own modem(Motorola 6141) and leaning toward getting the netgear nighthawk router. I plugged in my old netgear 54mpbs G router. When i stand about 25 ft away from the router with no wall interference, i get around 19.6 mpbs max dl on the speed test. Is it possible to get my wireless speed with at least an N rated router, close to the wired speed? Reason I will be getting the nighthawk is because of features and there are two devices in the house with 802.11 ac wireless NIC's.

Thank you

Hang on to the Carrier Provided Router/Modem for the next couple of months... it's performing well, and there is better stuff ahead going into the holiday season.

just saying... BTW - the Moto SB6141 is a very good modem, make sure you get the Generic/Open version (White Housing) if your order on-line - the Black models are operator specific models, and mostly brown box/refurbs...

sfx

Hang on to the Carrier Provided Router/Modem for the next couple of months... it's performing well, and there is better stuff ahead going into the holiday season.

just saying... BTW - the Moto SB6141 is a very good modem, make sure you get the Generic/Open version (White Housing) if your order on-line - the Black models are operator specific models, and mostly brown box/refurbs...

sfx

I only have the comcast provided modem so that I can compare their speed to the modem I will buy. If I get above 25 with their equipment, I am expecting the same if not minimally better with the motorola. I did read to buy the white retail packaging modem as well. I would rather spend more on the router than modem even though I know I can buy an all in one. I will keep the factory firmware(update if need be). I do not want to fiddle around with 3rd party firmware. The 5ghz frequency is intriguing to program. Which channels are not common to use. I think I read that 1,6,11 are common. Is that true? InSSIDer is a paid application for scanning surroundings. Is there a free version?

Thanks