What's new

wireless access point config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trauts14

Occasional Visitor
I currently have time restrictions setup on my wifi router. If i install a wireless AP will the AP just extend my range and not effect my current time restrictions/router settings, or will I need to also config the AP for the same time restrictions my router uses?

I currently have time restrictions setup on my wifi router. If i install a wireless AP will the AP just extend my range and not effect my current time restrictions/router settings, or will I need to also config the AP for the same time restrictions my router uses?

If the restriction on your main WiFi router just shuts off the radios for certain hours then yes you will have to set restrictions on each additional AP.

If you set your main router to block Internet access during certain hours then these restrictions will carry over to any device connecting regardless if it is to your main router or an AP.

Normally totally blocking Internet access is done by specifying certain IPs or MAC addresses.

Hopefully your routers and APs have the necessary features to accomplish what you want. If not and you don't want to flash them with new firmware consider using simple lamp timers to just turn the APs and or router off when you want to shut your network down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention that only the wifi shuts down for certain hours and yes i am using mac filtering for the devices that are affected by the hours restriction. so i guess since mac filtering is in place, then i should just be able to install the AP with minimal config.
by the way, i have never installed an AP. will i have some config work to do like set default gateway or are AP's pretty much plu and play?

It'd be better to filter the network, not just the Wi-Fi, to restrict those MAC's. Then the AP will be mostly plug and play (you can even set most AP's to configure themselves with DHCP).

Problem with MAC Filtering

Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention that only the wifi shuts down for certain hours and yes i am using mac filtering for the devices that are affected by the hours restriction. so i guess since mac filtering is in place, then i should just be able to install the AP with minimal config.
by the way, i have never installed an AP. will i have some config work to do like set default gateway or are AP's pretty much plu and play?

MAC filtering to block internet access isn't a very secure method. There are applications TMAC v6 being one that allows anyone to change the MAC address of an Ethernet adapter and either assign a random MAC address or clone an address of a machine that isn't blocked.

If you have computer savvy teenagers and you are trying to block Internet access at night so they will go to bed you will need to find another approach.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!