What's new

Wireless AP point & Homeplug AV's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Karde

New Around Here
Hey all,

Hoping to get some answers to a couple of quick questions about my current wireless setup that have been bugging me for a while now. Love this site and hoping you'll be able to help me with my problems.

I currently run a wireless N network from a Linksys WAG160N router that unfortunatly has to sit right next to the master phone socket in the house to get any DSL. I have been connecting to this at the very limits of its range using a Linksys WUSB300N wireless adapter.

This setup is ok, but due to the extreme long range and various walls/windows my signal quality is pretty poor and bad weather can really affect if I get internet or not.

I recently invested in some Homeplug AV's (the Linksys PLK300 kit), but unfortunately I lose signal between these if they are plugged in, 1 near the router and the other next to my desktop.

However, I have found a socket closer to my desktop which does get signal through the Homeplugs, so what I have currently done is run the internet through the homeplugs to this point, from the homeplug to an old Linksys WAG300N that I had lying around and used this as a wireless AP to re-broadcast the signal for my desktop to recieve.

So, my 1st question is, if I bought another homeplug kit could I run a 2nd homeplug network from this 'middle' point over to my desktop. Doing away with the need for the WAG300N set in AP mode? In effect making my desktop have a wired connection to my router (abit through 2 homeplug AV networks and losing loads of quality and speed, but I have a bad internet DSL line anyway so I don't get good internet anyway).

My 2nd question is more of a troubleshooting thing. If I connect to my WAG300N it can see the internet in its AP mode re-broadcasting the signal from the WAG160N. However it seems to have a reasonably regular 'lag spike'. It will load up pages and download files at a resonable speed for 20-30 seconds and then have around 10 seconds where it almost seems to lose internet, before starting to work fine again for another 20-30 seconds. Do you have any idea what could cause this and how it could be fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Karde

1) Sure, you can have multiple nodes in a powerline network. Note that they will share the available bandwidth.

2) The wireless "lag" could be any # of things, nearby networks, microwave oven, 2.4GHz cordless phone or one or both of the ends of the wireless bridge doing a periodic network search or link rate adjust.

Hey,

thanks for the quick response. Typically soon after I wrote this my internet went weird, service provider side problems though, so not something I have to try and figure out myself :)

Sorry to be annoying, but I just wanted to be certain before I went out and bought some more kit;

I can definately have a homeplug AV node next to my DSL router leading to a room in a house and another Homeplug AV node. I then have a wire coming from this node into another that is right next to it transfering the internet from 1 homeplug network to a 2nd. I then have a 4th Homeplug AV node over near my desktop which gives me wired internet?

So nodes 1 and 2 are connected. Node 2 has an external wire leading to node 3 and then nodes 3 and 4 are connected.

Cheers again,

Karde

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!