What's new

Wireless between two houses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mondrin

Occasional Visitor
My mother in law has wireless at her house and I need to extend the wireless into the guest house next door. The area I'd like to setup the system is about 5 feet lower and 40-50 feet away from the current wireless router with only the two outer walls between. Right now I barely get any signal in the house so I'm not sure some kind of repeater would work over there. She has a combined cable modem router from her cable company (netgear CGD24G) which doesn't have the range her old Linksys router had.

I'm looking for advice for the best and easiest way to get wireless into that house. I'm open to buying some kind of repeater if that would work, getting a different wireless router (from cable company or purchase) or both. My laptop will do N but her's will not.

Thanks!

I would try a repeater on the wall closest to the other house and see if it will pull a signal. Even if it is a low signal, it might be enough to get 5 meg speed, and then it would rebroadcast it to the other house. The Asus wl-330 has worked well for me.

Sean

My mother in law has wireless at her house and I need to extend the wireless into the guest house next door. The area I'd like to setup the system is about 5 feet lower and 40-50 feet away from the current wireless router with only the two outer walls between. Right now I barely get any signal in the house so I'm not sure some kind of repeater would work over there. She has a combined cable modem router from her cable company (netgear CGD24G) which doesn't have the range her old Linksys router had.

I'm looking for advice for the best and easiest way to get wireless into that house. I'm open to buying some kind of repeater if that would work, getting a different wireless router (from cable company or purchase) or both. My laptop will do N but her's will not.

Thanks!
reposition wireless router so there are fewer walls in the path?
or

one of these, on the client end, perhaps at window, inside or out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3168071&cm_re=engenius-_-33-168-071-_-Product

Why not the Engenius ENH200? Its a couple $ more but is 802.11n. Since the OP is wanting P-P, the ENH200 should work fine.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!