What's new

Wireless Bridge or Access Point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

K

kitzj0

My current network is set up using DLink DIR-825 wireless router. Through this I have a wired connection to my ps3 and have a wired connection to my home server. I also have a powerline adapter hooked up which is connected to another power adapter in the bedroom (wireless also works for this ps3, but I have it set up using the powerline). I also connect to two PC's and a laptop through wireless N. Everything can access the home server and is working great.

The problem I am encountering is that I do not get enough bandwidth through the powerline to the bedroom ps3 (to play high def) so I just bought a DAP-1522 and want to connect the bedroom ps3 to my network. I am planning on connecting this in access point mode.

I was thinking that I would like to get another DAP-1522 for one of my computers I connect with through wireless N. I would like to use one of the ports on the DAP-1522 for the computer and then connect my home server though another port on the DAP-1522. Would I be able to set this up on access point mode so that both ps3's will be able to access files off the home server or do I need to set this network up in bridge mode which would mean I would have to get a third DAP-1522 and wire connect the DAP-1522 to the DIR-825?

Thanks for your help.
Joe

Here is a diagram of current setup and the new setup. I am trying to determine if I can use 2 DAP-1522 or if I need 3 DAP-1522 for the setup to work. Both ps3 will need to access the home server in the new configuration. Hope it is not too confusing.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Server.jpg
    Server.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 372
Thanks for the diagram. Your proposed new configuration with two DAP-1522's should work fine.

No guarantees that it will provide enough bandwidth for flawless HD streaming, however, especially if you use 5 GHz.

Thanks Tim

I'm hoping it will be enough bandwidth. I will report back when I get everything up and running.

I got my order in for 1 DAP-1522 from Newegg and tested it out on streaming High Def from Home server to the ps3 and everything seemed to work great. I tested high def footage from my HV20 camera as well as a blu-ray rip and both played fine on the ps3. There were no studders or blockiness and tried to fast forward through material as well. My ps3 was in another room, probably about 30 feet from the router on the same floor. Haven't done any sort of speed tests to determine bandwidth.

Good to know that one DAP1522 can do all of that.. I might get one if it's less than another DIR-655.

kitzj0, glad it worked out for you. Thanks for reporting back.

I bought the DAP-1522 from Newegg for just under $100. Looks like the DIR-655 is a little more.

is it possible for the dir-655 to work in the same way as the dap-1522?

is it possible for the dir-655 to work in the same way as the dap-1522?
You can shut off DHCP, set a static IP and use it as an access point.
But you can't set it to client/bridge mode.

Thanks Tim.

In my setup for new configuration, would I be able to use the dir-655 for the link between the dir-825 and the computer and the server so that I can play media from the server to the two ps3?

Again, no, you can't. The DIR-655 cannot be put into Bridge or client mode, which is what you would need.

Thanks for the diagram. Your proposed new configuration with two DAP-1522's should work fine.

No guarantees that it will provide enough bandwidth for flawless HD streaming, however, especially if you use 5 GHz.

It's plenty fast enough. Even with 2.4Gz N it's fast enough.
Even with OTA at wireless G i can get flawless HD streaming at the OTA bitrates(in otherwords it will always transfer in faster than realtime on the wireless G network I set up at my girlfriends.)

And I'm using three DAp1522 units I bought last month at home at 5Ghz wireless N. I get faster speeds than when I used 2.4Ghz wireless N with my DGl4500.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!