What's new

Wireless connection and wired switch (but no connection from switch to router)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zucchiniboy

New Around Here
Hi all,

I could use some help in understanding the best way to do this:

I've got a desktop PC, a printer, and a laptop that I want to use in the same room, but there's no wired connection to my main router. If I put in a wired unmanaged gigabit switch in that room and assigned static IP addresses, would they be able to communicate to each other in that room? If so, would those computers (one Windows, one Mac) be able to get to the Internet using the wireless connection, but be smart enough to talk to each other over the in-room gigabit wired connection?

Thanks!

Assuming you don't want to use WiFi to each of the three computers when used in the room under discussion...

yes, if these computers connect to a common ethernet switch, and each is given a static IP address and subnet mask, they will interoperate. This would be only, say, windows or Apple file shares.

For internet connectivity for these, I suggest either
1. Ethernet cable from switch in room with computers, to the router. If that's feasbile to run.

2. HomePlug device in that room, ethernet connection from it to the switch. Another HomePlug device near the router, ethernet connection from it to the router's LAN port. Simple, plug and play. This done, change the computers from static IP to DHCP.

3. Via WiFi: buy a WiFi bridge (a.k.a. game adapter). Connect it to the router via ethernet and follow the instructions to configure it to use the WiFi encryption mode/password-key that your WiFi router uses. Save settings. Now move the bridge to the room with the computers and connect it to the switch in the room. This done, change the computers from static IP to DHCP.

Note that some bridges (as in 3) have a built-in switch. Buffalo is one.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!