What's new

Wireless Crossover Cable - Possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2WYCE

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have 2 wireless routers each with its own WAN connection. Currently, they are connected on the LAN side with a crossover cable (Hard Wire Router Link). All my devices are on the same subnet and can talk to each other. Plus each one can use whichever Internet connection I choose by manually configuring IP settings (gateway address specifically). As shown in
http://mobilerealtyllc.com/eo/network1.jpg

What I want to know is whether or not it's possible to replace the Hard Wire Router Link cable from the image above with a Wireless Router Link shown in this image
http://mobilerealtyllc.com/eo/network2.jpg

Basically, a wireless bridge with its own WAN connection.

I understand it will not be as fast or reliable, on paper. But if it is indeed possible, it would actually be slower but MORE reliable due to other variables in my situation. And speed is not important for this application.

Thanks for any help.

You're using an unusual configuration to obtain multiple WAN connections. You'd be better off with a multi-WAN router.

But, to your question, you could try configuring both radios to use bridging/repeating.

Thanks thiggins,

Sorry, forgot to mention, I'm also aware of multiwan routers, and one of these routers in this diagram actually is one.

I made this setup (network1.jpg) with a spare router we already have as a test to see if the concept would work since the multiwan would not work in this case. The internet connections will be too far away from each other in our new setup; two different buildings across the street from each other and will not be possible to run cables.

Interesting (and creative) application!

If using the internal radios in WDS doesn't work, you could always set up a wireless bridge pair to make the link.

Thanks thiggins,

So from what I understand, if the WDS won't work, your suggestion would be something like this picture below.

http://mobilerealtyllc.com/eo/network3.jpg

If this picture's correct, I think that's a good idea. I would need additional equipment to do it, so I'm gonna play with WDS first. But if it doesn't work, I will try your suggestion and I think I could keep my routers' configurations as they are now. Correct?

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Your diagram is correct and you should not need to change any router setup using the bridges.

I like Cradelpoint's travel and home dual-WAN routers. Travel router is as low as $125 or so.
Has WiFi access point
Has Ethernet port than can either connect to a WAN like cable/DSL or can be a LAN port to service connected devices via a switch.
Has 3G cellular modem ports (USB, PCIexpress). Accepts popular modems.

I use it with Verizon EV-DO and a USB modem that I also plug directly into my PC on the road if I don't need WiFi.

These routers' firmware will do auto-failover if you setup the ethernet port to be a WAN port.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!