What's new

Wireless disconnects - DNS timeouts.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scope_creep

New Around Here
I've got a friend who is running a restaurant/bistro and is getting constant wireless timeouts. I recently installed a Draytek Vigor Ap-800 in the bistro pub upstairs, connected by cat6e wire to the main BT router. The owner is having to reset the main router every 2 days to enable wireless connects.

The main router is a BT Home Hub 3.0 which was a recent upgrade from a 2Wire 2700 router. I checked the windows event logs and it was reporting DNS timeouts on the laptops. It seems to have been happening for some months but staff have been restarting the router without any fuss until recently, when the owner was in and noticed it. BT is no help. They tested the line and found the 2Wire was only reporting 6Mbits and they only way to get another router, as the 2Wire was suspect, was to sign a new unlimited contract. The new router pushed the link up to 22mbits.

I checked the home hub a few days ago, and it's reporting about 60 clients. So I reduced the DHCP lease time down to 8 hours, and setup the DNS entries to point to OpenDNS and Google in the hope that it would fix it. No joy.

I phoned BT but they go through their standard speil about testing the line etc. They are no use.

In the last 4 days, I've had the access point disconnected to determine if that was the problem, but I was reminded recently that the problem was occurring before that went in.

It's an ultra simple network with 2 laptops, and about 40-60 smartphones.
I'm thinking of dumping BT.

Any ideas, help.
Thanks.

Is the service disruption actually a problem in WiFi, or a problem with the router not renewing its WAN DHCP?
Testing a wired port on the router would tell.

Not enough info.
First, use wired ports of the router to make sure that the issue is not between the router and the modem (or is it an all-in-one?). And prove that pings and DNS lookups are reliable without WiFi in the picture.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!