What's new

Wireless Internet without access to shared folders

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheThirdMan

New Around Here
Hi, I work at a small business with 10 computers in a wired network. We use a NAS with shared folders and also a dedicated Quickbooks server that has a shared folder.

The network is simple: we have a modem/router for DSL that connects to a switch from which all the computers are connected.

I was wondering how we could have wireless for visitors, but without allowing access to the shared folders on the NAS and the Quickbooks server.

Thanks!

I'd setup passwords on the NAS so that access is controlled, be it by wireless or wired, and restrict what employees access which shares.

I'd not use WiFi if you have client data or sensitive data on the NAS, or get a professional to setup your network, to include deciding if you should have WiFi on the SAME network or subnet as your business operations.

Thank you for your reply.

Please forgive my ignorance. I am wondering if I can have a wireless router/modem from the DSL line (this would make wireless Internet) and then have another wired router to connect with the switch we have now?

Would what I have described separate our wired network from wireless Internet?

I hope I am making sense!

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

Please forgive my ignorance. I am wondering if I can have a wireless router/modem from the DSL line (this would make wireless Internet) and then have another wired router to connect with the switch we have now?

Would what I have described separate our wired network from wireless Internet?

I hope I am making sense!

The one on the switch would be a WiFi access point (AP). One network has one router. A WiFi router is a router with a built-in AP. You can add APs to get more coverage, etc.

You said this is a 10 computer small business. Don't, no really don't guess at these networking things. You can cripple the business with a data breach. Pay a professional.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online