What's new

Wireless ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LMIslander

New Around Here
First, I'm a network dummy so be gentle. I have a Dell tower connected to the internet thru an AT&T wireless USB connect Mercury card working with AT&T Communication Manager. I also have an IBM T43 laptop with wireless card. I would like to use the laptop to connect to the internet - sharing the Mercury card with the Dell tower - sometimes simultaneously. Can I do this and what do I need?

Just want to share the one wireless wan connection with multiple computers? Ever heard of ICS, or Internet Connection Sharing? It is an built in feature of Windows, if the computers are older than eh 4-5yrs you may need to use an crossover cable to direct connect the two computers, you simply connect the two together via ethernet(cat5) then on the computer thats to share the internet you must goto Control Panel > Network Connections > PPP WAN (the 3G card) > Right click > select Properties > advanced tab > click *Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection* > this feature will turn your computer into a NAT device like a router and share the internet via a standard subnet of 192.168.0.* . BTW I think AT&T Connection Manager disables ICS so that PPP WAN(Dial up Networking) connection may need to be created manually with settings simular to :
Username: (CASE SENSITIVE) WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: (CASE SENSITIVE) CINGULAR1
Phone Number: *99***1#
Hope this helps, I don't have nor used a 3G adapter so can't confirm that it will work, but if there is reference to an PPP or 3G device in Network Connections when ACM is installed, then you can try ICS. If ACM prevents ICS from functioning, can try the manual settings for a PPP connection or try other WWAN connection managers that may not cripple ICS. eg. http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/software/watcher/Build1822/3G_Watcher_Generic.msi or http://iqonn.com/downloads/

First, I'm a network dummy so be gentle. I have a Dell tower connected to the internet thru an AT&T wireless USB connect Mercury card working with AT&T Communication Manager. I also have an IBM T43 laptop with wireless card. I would like to use the laptop to connect to the internet - sharing the Mercury card with the Dell tower - sometimes simultaneously. Can I do this and what do I need?
Hi, did you get this working? I'm new to this too. I have a Bell Canada U760 modem on a pc (call it pc-a, like your Dell) that can pick up the cellular signals and another in my office (call it pc-b, like your laptop), both connected by D-Link wireless adapters. I set up ICS on pc-a and when I check Network Connections on the office pc-b, I see the Broadband 3G (230.4Kbps) and the D-Link wireless network (54Mbps). My problem is that when I run Firefox on pc-b, it says the page couldn't be found, which I guess means that FF isn't using the Broadband over wireless to find the DNS or it could be something else. The ICS is not disabled obviously or the office pc-b wouldn't see it. I may have to ask this again in another post.
I don't think that the wireless D-Link is the problem vs. Ethernet.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!