What's new

wireless n/g separate networks accessing server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rcloud

Occasional Visitor
hi all,

this kind of builds on a previous question i had, which was very kindly answered by the people on this forum.

i have a server htpc that has a wired connection to my netgear wndr3700 router. the router has 2 radios, 2.4 and 5ghz.

i have a few wireless g laptops that access files on the server via the wireless g network.

i'm building a new office pc with a dual band (g/n) wireless network card (cisco ae-1000). since the router is actually generating two separate wireless networks (g and n), network performance should not be degraded due to mixing n/g, because there are 2 different networks.

my question is, since the server is wired to the router, will i be able to connect to it via the wireless g laptops AND the wireless n computer at the same time, with no degradation in network performance, and with wireless n-level speed with the wireless n computer/n network produced by the router?

thanks!

If the router is dual band concurrent then you shoudl be abel to configure 2 seperate SSID's one for 2.4Ghz and the other for 5.8Ghz you can set this one to 11n only mode connect to the 5.8Ghz SSID with your new PC.

On the 2.4Ghz side if its set to bgn mode you will see a small performance hit but you probily wouldnt even notice unless your moving large files.

Keep in mind though, that the range on the 5GHz. wireless is less than the range is on 2.4GHz. wireless. So using the 5Ghz. band is fine if range isn't an issue.

Hope that this works well for you.

thanks for the replies, guys.

my wndr3700 is dual band, and it does broadcast a separate ssid for the 2.4 ghz and 5ghz, so i should be able to connect to the 2.4 network with my older laptops, and the 5 ghz with the new computer.

my question is, i also have an HTPC that is connected to the router via a nat5 cable, so it does not connect to either of the wireless networks. with this setup, will i be able to connect to the HTPC through my laptops on the 2.4 ghz network, AND through the new pc on the 5 ghz network, without affecting network performance on either of the wireless networks?

thanks!

Yes, sort of.

Your case is that the laptop will use WiFi to access the HTPC. So of course, whichever band that laptop uses, will have that traffic burden.

It's good to keep the HTPC connected by cat5. If it were to use WiFi, the traffic burden would appear again on the WiFi the HTPC itself uses, same or different band.

Last edited:
Yes once your connected to the wireless you are on the same flat network you can access everything unless you have isolation enabled or VLANS on the router. It does not matter which band you are connected to.

But yes if you can connect to ethernet it would be best although 5Ghz 11n can stream windows media center WTV HDTV recordings pretty well I have this setup with a ceton cable card tuner using the ruckus 7962 dual band 11n AP http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=271 this is the best AP out there for streaming.

thanks guys,

that's the kind of setup i'm trying to go for, everything's pretty close so i shouldn't have too many range problems. i'd rather not have to drop more money on an access point cause like i said, everything's relatively close.

HTPC will be wired to router and cable modem. other things like laptops, ereader, ipod will connect via 2.4 wifi, downstairs pc will connect through 5 ghz network, everything will share files from HTPC.

hopefully i don't become a hi def snob, and then i'll have to shell out for that AP!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!