What's new

Wireless Router buying advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetFan

New Around Here
Hi....I am in the process of upgrading my old Linksys BEFSR81 router and almost purchased this week a new Linksys WRT1900ACS router. I did a complete 180 turnaround after I read the reviews from customers having all kind of issues with the WRT1900ACS router rebooting or dropping the 5 GHz wireless network. We built our home 12 years ago and did a structured wiring system for the entire home. All the bedrooms are wired for Ethernet. Cat5E wiring was run through the entire home.

I ran some speed tests on the wired network and with the help of Cox Cable support we were able to determine the old BEFSR81 was the speed killer. I have an Arris (Motorola) Cable modem (DGI6182) supplied by Cox Cable (DOCSIS 3). When I connected my laptop directly to the network cable coming from the modem the speed test averaged over 100 Mbps. With the router I had an 80% drop off in upload & download speed.

I have been looking at possibly buying an Asus RT-AC88U wireless router but one concern I have if this router will be compatible with the Linksys switches I have (3 - Linksys 8 Port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps SE4008). My home network is very stable and reliable...don't have the time to debug / troubleshoot router issues....Also we recently added 14 speakers from SONOS for whole house audio and 7 of them are wired to the network. I looked at the SONOS site and they had the RT routers from ASUS on their list as having some issues with a "broadcast storm". Issue seems to be resolved with a firmware upgrade on the router.

I am concerned about purchasing a router that will be a maintenance nightmare....any advice from the experts In this forum as to the reliability of ASUS routers in general....I am trying to replace our "old reliable" BEFSR81 router with a new router that will be as reliable as well.....suggestions welcome

FYI...structured wiring cabinet is an OnQ panel located In the basement....debating whether to leave new wireless router in the basement or move it to the first floor to a closet in the middle of the house....I'll have to add an electric outlet and run additional Cat5E cable to this location to ensure I'll get a strong wireless signal....this will allow me to sunset my old Linksys Wireless G access point.....

Last edited:
The BEFSR81 is a classic, haven't seen one of those since like 2002. That's when Linksys was Linksys, before bought out by Cisco now Belkin. I used Linksys products for years, WRT54G and the like. But I switched to Asus years ago. I'm not as familiar with the latest products so will let someone else chime in there. I have a RT-AC66R which I like a great deal but it's not the latest greatest.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The BEFSR81 is a classic, haven't seen one of those since like 2002. That's when Linksys was Linksys, before bought out by Cisco now Belkin. I used Linksys products for years, WRT54G and the like. But I switched to Asus years ago. I'm not as familiar with the latest products so will let someone else chime in there. I have a RT-AC66R which I like a great deal but it's not the latest greatest.

Thanks....It has truly been a work horse router for me....never had any issues. I am going to approach as well Cox Cable and see what product suggestions they have. After I saw the Linksys support forums and the issues customers are having with the WRT1900ACS my hair went on fire....UPS is delivering the router tomorrow and I already got an RMA from Linksys to send it back....I need a stable router in my home network.

I am in the process of upgrading my old Linksys BEFSR81 router and almost purchased this week a new Linksys WRT1900ACS router.
Have you considered buying a WiFi-less router and a separate access point? Given how much you depend on details, it appears to me it's going to be worth it.

Have you considered buying a WiFi-less router and a separate access point? Given how much you depend on details, it appears to me it's going to be worth it.
I'm actually considering that approach. I sort of inherited a Linksys LRT214 which I take it handles VPN better than my RT-AC66 would. So considering putting the LRT214 on my WAN and moving the RT-AC66 behind it as an access point.

I have been looking at that option as well but have not seen that many routers...Linksys has some business VPN routers (4 Ethernet ports)...I looked at the CISCO site as well. It seems like all the routers in today's market are Wifi routers....any router I get needs to support the SONOS system we have...I am definitely staying away from Linksys as it seems their product offer at this time does not provide a stable platform at this point....

I have been looking at that option as well but have not seen that many routers...Linksys has some business VPN routers (4 Ethernet ports)...I looked at the CISCO site as well. It seems like all the routers in today's market are Wifi routers....any router I get needs to support the SONOS system we have...I am definitely staying away from Linksys as it seems their product offer at this time does not provide a stable platform at this point....
I'd stay away from Linksys as well. I wouldn't have bought this LRT214. But it got a decent review on smallnetbuilder so considering using it. Haven't decided yet.

I'm actually considering that approach. I sort of inherited a Linksys LRT214 which I take it handles VPN better than my RT-AC66 would. So considering putting the LRT214 on my WAN and moving the RT-AC66 behind it as an access point.

I was looking at that router as well yesterday and the business access points for Linksys....I have a wireless HD TV from Sony and watch movies off Netflix....not sure about the capabilities of these business routers....a lot to learn for me here

After I saw the Linksys support forums and the issues customers are having with the WRT1900ACS my hair went on fire....UPS is delivering the router tomorrow and I already got an RMA from Linksys to send it back....I need a stable router in my home network.

The WRT1900's (and their little brother, the WRT1200ac) have been fairly stable - some early issues, but recent firmware has been fine...

Upside is they have probably the best 2.4GHz range, and their 5GHz range is probably close to top of class - the USB/eSATA filesharing performance is class leading...

Now that Linksys/Marvell/OpenWRT have sorted their issues, 3rd party support for OpenWRT and DDWRT is good...

Don't believe everything you see on vendor support forums - never hear kudos there, only complaints ;)

I've heard mostly negative things about Linksys lately but maybe it will just take some time to sort out. My niece and her husband swear by Belkin routers.

The WRT1900's (and their little brother, the WRT1200ac) have been fairly stable - some early issues, but recent firmware has been fine...

Upside is they have probably the best 2.4GHz range, and their 5GHz range is probably close to top of class - the USB/eSATA filesharing performance is class leading...

Now that Linksys/Marvell/OpenWRT have sorted their issues, 3rd party support for OpenWRT and DDWRT is good...

Don't believe everything you see on vendor support forums - never hear kudos there, only complaints ;)

I know....I guess I am a victim of Analysis paralysis now....not sure which way to go now with this....I am leaning towards ASUS routers but need to confirm they will be compatible with my Linksys switches.....going to check the reviews done on LRT214 as well in this site.

Last edited:
I know....I guess I am a victim of Analysis paralysis now....not sure which way to go now with this....I am leaning towards ASUS routers but need to confirm they will be compatible with my Linksys switches.....going to check the reviews done on LRT214 as well in this site.

Switches are compatible with everything. If they are not, they need replacing. ;)

I have been looking at that option as well but have not seen that many routers...Linksys has some business VPN routers (4 Ethernet ports)...I looked at the CISCO site as well. It seems like all the routers in today's market are Wifi routers....
Sorry to hear. Not so at my end. But even then, at the moment, I'd rather buy a SOHO router with a sad outdated WLAN, switch that off and add a WiFi AP than going with a consumer grade WiFi router. I need the flexibility, reliability, and performance.
any router I get needs to support the SONOS system we have...
I'd avoid routing such stuff, stick to switching it, and then I wouldn't expect any issues. You can count on all vendors who freshly enter the networking domain to do something differently from the others, be it bursts, aggressiveness, protocol details... and mostly, they're pretty stubborn.

Last edited: