What's new

Wireless router difficulties

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zerowarz

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, first post.. been enjoying the articles and such on this site.

I have a Belkin F7D8301 v1 with dd-wrt on it (dd-wrt v240sp2 03/25/13 mini) that I'm attempting to set up and fine tune.

When hard-wired, my laptop is getting 55mbps/10mbps. However, when wireless, I'm currently getting about 25/10. Somehow I was able to get 40+/10 then that changed and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix that again. My iPad (4th gen) and cell phone haven't seen more than 25/10.

I've tried disabling the 2.4ghz radio, enabling only the 5ghz N-only mode with no real difference @ 40mhz. Tried using inSSIDer to check for conflicts, there aren't many on 2.4ghz and I don't see any at all on 5ghz. Tried messing with 20mhz/40mhz/auto..

Just not sure what the magic combo is, if any, or if this router is just crap. Sometimes the "speed" via windows says 300mb, others 70mb and bounces around. Laptop is a Dell D630 with an Intel 4965AGN built in. Also tried messing with the transmit power settings from default of 71mW, to lower, as I've read lower can be better. I've been doing all of my testing in same room as router, about 5 or so feet away normally

Been at it all day.. finally asking for ideas/tips :) Thanks in advance

Lan speed test

To make it easier to see what the results of your tweaks are you need to isolate the impact of the WAN from the LAN.

Speedtests are impacted by both external factors on the Internet and internal factors that you can control on your LAN.

Install Lan Speed Test or some other utility and test the speed that you can both read and write files. Avoid using USB drives connected to your router as the test destination for storing files during the test.

Once you have established a best case using hardwired Ethernet connections you can begin experimenting using WiFi.

Even with optimal WiFi settings and devices in the same room as the router consider yourself doing well if you can get 60% of your wired throughput. Wifi is always the third best choice for throughput.

Hi,
I'd go back to stock f/w to begin with. dd-wrt is not known for speed. Your test should be done pretty well same time of the day like early in the morning or late in the night when
traffic is light. Using QOS? For me, I'd rather have steady reliable speed rather than trying to suqeeze out top speed.

hey guys, thanks for responses. Speeds are consistent.. when wired.. I'm getting over 50mbps every speed test. Wireless is the problem. No, QoS is not involved.. i also debated switching to stock to see if that'd help, but pretty sure this is why I did dd-wrt long ago in the first place.. to try and improve wireless.
TonyH, true.. consistent is good..and 25mbps is plenty fast enough for my laptop/ipad/phone.. just wondering why its not pushing 40 or 50.. from my understanding.. Wifi N should be able to handle that.. right?

Hi,
Have any non -N device by any chance? On wireless setting anything set in "auto" ?

Hmm I don't think I have any non N devices. I've attached a screenshot of the current configuration for wifi.

Attachments

• wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 468
No N Devices

The simplest way to find out is set your router mode to N only instead of mixed. If everything is good to go and can still connect to the network you are set. When you are testing a device be sure it can connect on N run a speedtest or download from a web site as even a G only device maybe be able to see the SSID but will not connect.

Don't worry if you have to leave your router set to auto or G/N mode instead of N only as for most people it will make little or no difference as most people can't fully utilize a link rate of 54 Mbps.

Are you saying I should set my router to ONLY do N on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz if all my devices are N capable?

Hi all, first post.. been enjoying the articles and such on this site.

I have a Belkin F7D8301 v1 with dd-wrt on it (dd-wrt v240sp2 03/25/13 mini) that I'm attempting to set up and fine tune.

If you're tinkering around with DD-WRT, I would ask them...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/

Once you're out of factory firmware, pretty much on your own - there are so many variants out there...

best of luck

sfx

Are you saying I should set my router to ONLY do N on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz if all my devices are N capable?

Yes. But remember if you have guests and their devices are not N compatible they won't be able to connect to your network.

I have the belkin in the garage now.. its working "OK" but not that great.. think i need to bring an AP into the house.. any suggestions on a good AP?

AP: use any low cost WiFi router - reconfigured to be an AP.
Simple.
There's a FAQ on this website, with instructions.

Yeah know how to do it just wasn't sure what a decent model would be. I'm currently using the Belkin as my router and wifi, but its in the garage so the signal inside that great. Debated getting a new router and using the Belkin as an AP but then I'd have two routers :)

If you reconfigure one as an AP and use it as such, you have one router. The re-purposed WiFi router's WAN port goes unused. I'd leave the Belkin alone and use any $30 WiFi router as the AP.
Assuming you can't move the router from garage to inside.

hi Steve,
sounds like a plan. Yeah I can't move the router/ap inside cause my patch panel is in the garage.. not easily anyway. Any recommendations on a cheap router/ap that has N dual-band functionality? The belkin in the garage covers a good amount of the house but not all.. I guess I could leave both the Belkin and the new AP on same SSID to have full coverage, right? or if the new "AP" covers whole house, will disable belkin wifi

I've been looking at this model: ENS202EXT even though it for outdoors you can use inside the house. More a SMB device than HOM device. Still prices had drop and starting to climb again.

Under the hood it has: 1.1GHz MPU, 64MB of RAM, dual 5dBi SMA ANT, 400mW downside it 10/100 dual ports. It's Wireless AP, BC, RP you get PoE adapter with it. Still prices was $82 and it gone up by $10 bucks in just 3 days.

Most mount in Auto dealer Garage an etc. If you just looking for AP instead of buying a full Router an then turning that into AP. There is another model sports internal 10dBi with 800mW power ENH202.

Again these two are 2.4GHz Single Band 300MB (well 150/300MB) mix.There are models for N150 and those for only 5GHz band.

Yeah probably a bit overkill.. much more $ than the $30-ish routers that Stevech was mentioning. Sigh, just want the damn thing to work ;)

Yeah probably a bit overkill.. much more $ than the $30-ish routers that Stevech was mentioning. Sigh, just want the damn thing to work ;)

Home ones are cheaper though. This is more for Wireless Access point to give you Wireless. If you need a full Router then you have to get one. But buying what I've mention keeps you from buying them always. Best to invest in wired router then get the wireless access point. Of course you pay more but in the end you want things to work like you say.

Other way you have been there many times. Think of this as buying a good car or truck. You don't want to be in the repair shop with it.

Outdoor access point designed for weather conditions offers more management features better hardware inside. Where as the home access point isn't made like that. So there is a trade off.

Just something else to consider. Good luck on your choice of hardware.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!