What's new

Wireless router difficulties

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'd skip the 5GHz 802.11a/n unless you are doing HEAVY traffic to an '11a/n client PC- not a handheld.

My modem is in the garage but the router is in the house- short run of cat5.
And in another room is a cheapie E1200 used as an AP. Works well. single band.

Last edited:
Actually ended up getting a Belkin AC900 router from Costco yesterday. Hooked it up to my switch and set it to be an AP only inside of the house. Signal works pretty good all over.. gotta find the ideal place for it I guess.

Couple questions though.. Do you guys set your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands SSID to be the same? Wondering if the device chooses the "best" one in that case. If all devices I own are capable of "N" .. should I just offer N on both 2.4 and 5 bands for now? Not sure if they conflict or what not..

Actually ended up getting a Belkin AC900 router from Costco yesterday. Hooked it up to my switch and set it to be an AP only inside of the house. Signal works pretty good all over.. gotta find the ideal place for it I guess.

Couple questions though.. Do you guys set your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands SSID to be the same? Wondering if the device chooses the "best" one in that case. If all devices I own are capable of "N" .. should I just offer N on both 2.4 and 5 bands for now? Not sure if they conflict or what not..

No don't use the same SSID for the same band. You should have another name for it.

SSID: M24
SSID: M50

Just examples..

Can't go wrong with Belkin. I use to have N+ was a very good router I had two of them. One was the main router and the second was the AP. I using the ESR600H here still, was going to replace it with the outdoor models but I rather have Gig ports instead of 10/100. I do a lot of 1080p streaming.

I use my initials (3 letters, upper case) and tack on what service is on that SSID/where it is, such as

SCHgnLR decodes to 11g/n living room
or
SCHgFloor2

That way a handheld's user can choose "best"/ nearest, since rarely does client soft/firmware choose the "best".

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!